Heard good things, thought I’d stop in.

Edaxflamma said:
Hey all,

Getting ready to start for this season, heard some good things about the forums and figured I would come check them out.

Growing mostly chinense varieties on the mild to hot range in containers both inside and outside. I have a few super hots but lm slowly building my tolerance. For now Im focusing on isolated seed and tracking my lineages using a database.

Hoping to learn a lot and meet a good group of people.

Cheers,
-J.P.
Sounds like your serious mate. Wait till you start noticing some vendors list different lineages for peppers though. I've seen C. baccatum 'Ubatuba Cambucci' or C. baccatum 'Bishops Hat' listed in the lineage of Capsicum 'Wartryx' for example. 

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

I'd say guidelines here at THP are loosey-goosey as long as we get along. As far as resurrecting old threads/topics I'm in favor of it (Not sure about everybody else.) as often there is info relevant to the subject even if it is older. A quick search of "wrinkled leaves" - titles only - turned up:

2019-Wrinkled leaves and no hope?
2008-Strong wind - wrinkled leaves?
2012- Curling, wrinkled leaves..
2015-Distorted/wrinkled leaves on Carolina reaper
2018-Shiny wrinkled leaves on tabasco plants
You my friend care enough to share and that my friend is commendable. Thanks for going that extra step. Another positive I see in this forum... a lot of information is shared here.

I can only control what information I generate. Currently I'm just logging the variety, where I got it from, a personal invoice ID (linked to the actual invoice if I purchased the seed), the date it was purchased, and any other info I can get from the supplier. From there, seeds get pulled from individual seed lots, with each germinating plant becoming a unique entity. Crosses, and isolations are recorded using their parent's information and my lineages start from there. I'm also logging seed lot phenotype descriptions post germination, germination times, plant substrates, etc.

After this season I should be able to provide whatever information I have available along with my seeds. You'll know how many generations it was removed from the original source material and everything I know about the seed from the source. Most people likely won't care but the data can't hurt. If nothing else I'll know my set up a little better in the end.

Edaxflamma said:
I can only control what information I generate. Currently I'm just logging the variety, where I got it from, a personal invoice ID (linked to the actual invoice if I purchased the seed), the date it was purchased, and any other info I can get from the supplier. From there, seeds get pulled from individual seed lots, with each germinating plant becoming a unique entity. Crosses, and isolations are recorded using their parent's information and my lineages start from there. I'm also logging seed lot phenotype descriptions post germination, germination times, plant substrates, etc.

After this season I should be able to provide whatever information I have available along with my seeds. You'll know how many generations it was removed from the original source material and everything I know about the seed from the source. Most people likely won't care but the data can't hurt. If nothing else I'll know my set up a little better in the end.
We are all free to collect seed and question our seed sources whether they are hybridizers or vendors.

If people were to simply write the initials of those they received the seed from in each transaction you would see the hybridizers initials first after the name of a seed and then the next person who handled the seed.

Capsicum 'Wartryx' (M.A) (J.M.) etc....

Back