• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat loving sweet pepper

Looking to grow a new sweet pepper this year (sub 1,000 scoville).  The hot peppers flourish but man, california wonders grow for crap in the Alabama summer.  Any suggestions?  We're typically in the 75-95 degree range all summer, pretty high humidity.

sobelri said:
Aji Dulce produced well for me in SE Texas
Agree.  This is a Venezuelan favorite (my Mom-in Law grows tons of them). like a mild habanero, tasty.  I have an Ahi Mango plant growing, but yet to see what it produces. There are also no-heat versions of a Jalapeno at the local HD (maybe Burpee). Some cherry pepper varieties would fit too.

I would try sweet peppers that are not bell pepper types. I live in a different region, Wisconsin, but I had very good luck with Carmen. 

I bet a sweet banana pepper would do well. There are lots of hybrid types you can buy as plants and seeds that finish pretty early, like Pageant and Lola. I am trying both this year. 

Another type of sweet pepper that I have read about and watched people talk about on Youtube that does well in most regions is the Nardello/Jimmy Nardello's. This is an Italian frying sort.
Another type of frying sort is the shishito pepper, a Japanese frying sweet pepper, and there are some hybrids for that, like Mellow Star and Takara. I am trying both the Nardello and Takara this year, pretty excited for them.

Another intriguing option for you is heatless tropical hot peppers. 

Here are some suggestions for this

Roulette, Habanada and Zavory (Heatless habanero style)
Sweet Datil (heatless sweet Datil style)
Sweet Cayenne 
Tobago Seasoning, Grenada Seasoning, have several hundred SHU but are within the 1000 SHU cut off and might do well in the Alabama climate.
I think these last ones would be like the Aji Dulce being talked about.

Cheesehead said:
Another intriguing option for you is heatless tropical hot peppers. 

Here are some suggestions for this

Roulette, Habanada and Zavory (Heatless habanero style)
Sweet Datil (heatless sweet Datil style)
Sweet Cayenne 
Tobago Seasoning, Grenada Seasoning, have several hundred SHU but are within the 1000 SHU cut off and might do well in the Alabama climate.
I think these last ones would be like the Aji Dulce being talked about.

Great suggestions!

I'm in the same boat.  Alabama just doesn't have the same climate as the California Central Valley or New Mexico.  :)

I've got several hot and hotter varieties working well for me.  I've tried several of the Chinense seasoning peppers.  But I end up loosing interest in seasoning peppers.  I always expect some heat with that flavor profile.

I've had good luck growing Brazilian Starfish down here in Mobile.  It's a nice, sweet pepper.  But not much flavor to it.

I'm growing some Aji Jobito and Aji Margariteño this year.  This is my first year with those, so I don't have a good idea how they'll turn out.

Otherwise, I'm still searching for more low-heat annuums that will tolerate our climate.

Tekne Dolmasi grows fine in the heat but it has no heat at all. Huge sweet bell type pods.

Antep Aci Dolma also does well but they can have some heat. Looks just like a bell.

Pretty sure there are some more peppers from the middle east (Turkey and Syria) that might fill that spot too.

Back