• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Heating issue

Got a small reptile heating mat to warm up my seeds for sprouting. It's roughly 1/3 the size of my 72 pod starter kit, and I want to evenly distribute the heat as much as possible so one section doesn't get significantly warmer than another. Any suggestions on evenly dissipating the heat?

You really don't need to use that mat. ESPECIALLY if it isn't waterproof since that will pose an electrical hazard.

But, heat transfers into metal well though it may take a long time for the metal to heat from the mat. A cookie sheet or the like migth work.

I just say try it without the heat mat first. If you have an area in your house or gardening area that gets warm then stick the seeds there.

Good Luck

Most grow kits come with lids. If you've got a lid to insulate the heat you should be fine.

If you don't have a lid, get a trash bag. Fill it with a cup of water and knot off the end. Lay it down between the heat mat and seedling tray. Depending on your size requirements, you may require more or less water. Your end goal is to get about 1/2" of water compressed underneath the entirety of the tray.

Most grow kits come with lids. If you've got a lid to insulate the heat you should be fine.

If you don't have a lid, get a trash bag. Fill it with a cup of water and knot off the end. Lay it down between the heat mat and seedling tray. Depending on your size requirements, you may require more or less water. Your end goal is to get about 1/2" of water compressed underneath the entirety of the tray.
That sounds do able. I have a standard starter kit with a lid, but I'm trying to keep everything as close to the same temp as possible to keep my results as accurate as possible. If some were to be warmer than others then that may skew my results. Gonna try to work that waterbag idea. Thanks!

A sheet of Styrofoam between the mat and the tray. Seen it suggested. Another heading option i have seen used is a cable box. My basement is very cool right now because i have the gas heater down there lowered so the surface temp will keep my tray at 85

Put the Styrofoam beneath the mat. This will prevent heat from radiating downward and help it travel up towards the tray. If you put the styrofoam between the mat and tray this creates an insulating barrier not allowing heat to your tray.

I have a 1/4" styrofoam under my mat and it works great for getting heat to the tray.

Back