• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Heatless Habs

Hey,

This was my first year with a small garden and it's definitely been an interesting endeavor. Summer took its sweet timing arriving and hasn't been that great when it did show up.

Long storey short Ive got a couple habanero plants. Two I grew from seed from grocery store peppers. One I purchased as a started cayenne from the store but I guess some one changed the tags.

The ones from seed are growing tiny little

Sorry, iPhone ftl.

The seed starts are growing tiny little orange balls of fire while the other plant is producing much larger peppers that look exactly the same except that they have no heat to them what so ever.

Now I find habs a bit over the top at times so a milder version would be nice but I'd like some heat. I can get some pics later but was just wondering of anyone else has had the same thing where their peppers have no heat.

While I've read quite often what K-strain wrote, there are also some studies suggesting that more water = more heat, that capsaicin is produced as an anti-fungal agent. However, this is within the context that there's not so much water that it washes away the nutrients in the soil.

However, maybe I am missing something but you don't actually know that the 3rd pepper is a hab do you? I'm guessing that it isn't one but pictures would help, both of the pods and of the stem and leave structure of the plants.

I can't recall right now where I saw it but there is a hybridized habanero that has no heat, but it doesn't seem to be very popular at all. Chinense most prolifically cross with other chinense, most of which are near if not higher the same heat level so it is not common to find a relatively low heat habanero unless it was picked while less than mature, though there are some other peppers more mild.

Back