• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HeatMiser's 2022 Glog

Happy New Year!

I've been debating whether I should start a Glog this year or not given that I most likely won't have time to update it as frequently as previous years. I decided to still go for it in case somebody wants to know how a particular variety is doing, and also to document my progress.

We moved to a bigger place last year, and now that we actually have a decent sized yard, my outdoor grow will be expanded accordingly and my indoor grow might not happen at all. This year I'll be focusing on a couple of things:

1) Refreshing seeds I've bought over the years. Some of these are 10 years old
2) Experiment with two big (50 Gal) Kratky Setup. I'll be growing Zapotec Jalapenos and Lemon Drops since these are family favorites.

Here are the varieties I'll be playing with this year:

NameYear ObtainedSpeciesSource
Jemez Pueblo
2020​
AnnuumSuperHotChiles.com
Numex Big Jim
2013​
AnnuumTomatogrowers.com
Numex Thanksgiving
2012​
AnnuumChile Pepper Institute
Poblano
2014​
AnnuumTomatogrowers.com
Rayados Jalapeno
2021​
AnnuumSuperHotChiles.com
Serrano
2013​
AnnuumTomatogrowers.com
Takanotsume
2012​
AnnuumChile Pepper Institute
Zapotec Jalapeno
2021​
AnnuumMy own seeds
Aji Lemon Drop
2021​
BaccatumMy own seeds
Peachadew
2021​
BaccatumSuperHotChiles.com
Sugar Rush Peach
2021​
BaccatumSuperHotChiles.com
Bhut Jolokia
2013​
ChinenseTomatogrowers.com
Bhutlah Scorpion
2021​
ChinenseSuperHotChiles.com
Carolina Reaper
2021​
ChinenseMy own seeds
Chocolate Reaper
2020​
Death Spiral
2021​
Fatalii
2013​
Habanero
2013​
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
2013​
ChinenseChile Pepper Institute
Trinidad Scorpion
2013​
ChinenseChile Pepper Institute
White Habanero
2013​
Mini Red Rocoto
2021​
PubescensTHP - PaulG
Peruvian Red Rocoto
2021​
PubescensTHP - PaulG
Tatiana Yellow Rocoto
2021​
PubescensTHP - PaulG

I think that's it for today. I'll be working on soaking up the seeds and putting them in rockwool cubes later today or early tomorrow. Pics will follow as well.

OK, seems like we have good weather now. The peppers are outside:

dTNpkv8.jpg

I must say I'm a little anxious about the mix, which is 7 parts Peat Moss, 2 parts Perlite and 1 part Worm Castings. I only realized the Ph of Peat Moss is acidic after they were potted up, so I've added some lime in hopes that the Ph will stabilize. I will be watering with CNS 17. Fingers crossed.

In any case, I've decided to hedge my bets and still have a few plants to pot up. These will be in a mix of Miracle Grow potting mix and Perlite.

PaulG

Extreme Member
That Rocoto looks super healthy and happy,
HM. The plants in the grow room pic must
be getting bigger as we speak!

Woah, missed the plant out pic! Great to see
them outside. Mine will start going out next
week, I think. Super glad to see the nights
warming up, finally.

Last edited:
That Rocoto looks super healthy and happy,
HM. The plants in the grow room pic must
be getting bigger as we speak!

Woah, missed the plant out pic! Great to see
them outside. Mine will start going out next
week, I think. Super glad to see the nights
warming up, finally.

Yeah, the rocotos seem to be doing fine so far Paul. I'm really looking forward to trying them later during the season.

Weather-wise, it's been a super wet and cold spring, and the plants were already getting too big for their pots, so I'm glad the night temps are finally decent to leave these guys outside.

Also, for next year I think I'll start my seeds a couple of weeks later and only start seeds for hydro after all the plants have moved outside.

CaneDog

Extreme Member
Hey HM. Good to see your plants outside and off to a great start. I ran out of room - and patience - a couple weeks back and put the majority of mine out on the deck full time. The weather's been pretty cruddy lately, but they seem ok with it. Glad to see the worst of it may be behind us.

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem with unadjusted high-peat concentrations. My DIY mix this season is over 50% peat (unadjusted) and everyone seems fine with it. Our tap water coming out above 8 pH isn't going to hurt that equation any either.

Hey HM. Good to see your plants outside and off to a great start. I ran out of room - and patience - a couple weeks back and put the majority of mine out on the deck full time. The weather's been pretty cruddy lately, but they seem ok with it. Glad to see the worst of it may be behind us.

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem with unadjusted high-peat concentrations. My DIY mix this season is over 50% peat (unadjusted) and everyone seems fine with it. Our tap water coming out above 8 pH isn't going to hurt that equation any either.

Hey CD!

Yes, I can relate to being out of room and patience. This year it was particularly so because we put up a few raised garden beds and I started A LOT of old tomato seeds indoors. These were 10-year-old seeds and I thought I wasn't going to get good germination. Boy was I wrong - ALL of the seeds germinated and I ended up with 40+ tomatoes and the ~20 peppers you see here. So we picked the tomatoes we were going to keep and put them out a couple of weeks ago - they don't seem very pleased with us at the moment but are showing signs of recovery now that we seem to have turned the corner.

Actually it is great to hear about your experience with peat, thanks!. I added the lowest recommended dosage of lime to each pot for good measure, but I got that feeling that it would suck to have to deal with issues due to bad Ph, and dealing with Ph in soil is not the same as with hydro. So once I got done with the batch I mixed I filled the rest of the pots with MG. Good thing is I'll have a side-by-side to see which plants did better ;)

Last edited:

PaulG

Extreme Member
Nothing wrong with Miracle Grow, HM.
I also really like Black Gold all-purpose
potting soil. A bit lighter and works pretty
good for germinating, as well.

Glad to see the PNW becoming more
hospitable for planting out. Good luck,
buddy!