• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Heirloom Beans for Trade?

Does anyone have interesting heirloom bean seeds for trade? I have a few varieties of commercially available heirloom beans, but looking for more- especially true family heirlooms or particularly tasty varieties. I've got limited quantities of 250+ varieties of peppers to trade for beans... greens, some tomatoes. Let me know.

...or Crowder Peas or Black Eyed Peas

Got (but only few) some Canarian beans named "Manto de la virgen"  (Mantle of the Virgin), keep in mind and ask me later, when will harvest (with the help of God).

I have been growing for the last 3 years what a friend of a friend says is Anasazi beans. Very prolific and tasty but can't attest to authenticity. The color, size, and shape match descriptions online. Also called Appaloosa beans. Probably not what you looking for but I'll offer them anyways.

Hawaiianero said:
Got (but only few) some Canarian beans named "Manto de la virgen"  (Mantle of the Virgin), keep in mind and ask me later, when will harvest (with the help of God).
Thanks!

Hawaiianero said:
I have been growing for the last 3 years what a friend of a friend says is Anasazi beans. Very prolific and tasty but can't attest to authenticity. The color, size, and shape match descriptions online. Also called Appaloosa beans. Probably not what you looking for but I'll offer them anyways.
I actually have Anasazis. If I didn't, I'd take you up on it. Thanks.

I have some you might be interested in. Happy to share if you send me a SASBE. I grow a number of beans, have a number of Kentucky Cutshorts, Greasy, and half runners from Bill Best. I have some heirlooms from Italy that are wonderful, Norcini, Fagolina Del Trasineo, migliorucci, Zolfini, others, Baguettes from France, Speckled Limas from Africa, some of these via Seedsavers exchange, some from folks I've met over the years. I love beans, most are pole. The Kentucky varieties are amazing in the flavor dept, I no longer grow boring green beans of the bush kind after tasting these. I don't have large quantities, but have enough for you to try, p.m. me if you want to try some. Check out Bill Best beans on Google, there might be some photos. Great tomatoes from him also, Vinson Watts and Jerusalem are wonderful.

Sayin you're lookin for bean seeds is like sayin “Anybody got pepper seeds?”. :)

A few more details might help, like:

Bush or Pole?
Snap, Shell, and/or Dry?
Green, Wax (yellow), Purple, Striped?
Round or Flat?
Eat fresh? Freeze? Can?

And lastly, how much room ya got? :P

fiogga said:
I have some you might be interested in. Happy to share if you send me a SASBE. I grow a number of beans, have a number of Kentucky Cutshorts, Greasy, and half runners from Bill Best. I have some heirlooms from Italy that are wonderful, Norcini, Fagolina Del Trasineo, migliorucci, Zolfini, others, Baguettes from France, Speckled Limas from Africa, some of these via Seedsavers exchange, some from folks I've met over the years. I love beans, most are pole. The Kentucky varieties are amazing in the flavor dept, I no longer grow boring green beans of the bush kind after tasting these. I don't have large quantities, but have enough for you to try, p.m. me if you want to try some. Check out Bill Best beans on Google, there might be some photos. Great tomatoes from him also, Vinson Watts and Jerusalem are wonderful.

DownRiver said:
Sayin you're lookin for bean seeds is like sayin “Anybody got pepper seeds?”. :)

A few more details might help, like:

Bush or Pole?
Snap, Shell, and/or Dry?
Green, Wax (yellow), Purple, Striped?
Round or Flat?
Eat fresh? Freeze? Can?

And lastly, how much room ya got? :P
Whoa. PMs coming. But yeah, looking for greasy beans, half runners, cut shorts... I have a couple of standard green beans- both bush & pole (Kentucky Wonder, Landreth, Blue Lake), but looking for something a little different. I think I'll try my hand at some standard dried beans- black, pinto, kidney... but I'm looking for more sort of Southeastern/Appalachian heirlooms. Thanks & PMs to follow.

coachspencerxc said:
Whoa. PMs coming. But yeah, looking for greasy beans, half runners, cut shorts... I have a couple of standard green beans- both bush & pole (Kentucky Wonder, Landreth, Blue Lake), but looking for something a little different. I think I'll try my hand at some standard dried beans- black, pinto, kidney... but I'm looking for more sort of Southeastern/Appalachian heirlooms. Thanks & PMs to follow.

As far as "standard dry beans" go, I DON'T grow what you can buy in the grocery for less than a dollar a pound. I focus on beans/peas I can't get anywhere else, except out of my garden. But, that's just my philosophy.  :snooty:  ymmv.

I might have a few you might be interested in. I'll respond to your PM shortly. :)

EDIT: By the way, I agree with fiogga, SMAC is a great source for Appalachian / SE stuff. Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is also SE-US focused.

DownRiver said:

As far as "standard dry beans" go, I DON'T grow what you can buy in the grocery for less than a dollar a pound. I focus on beans/peas I can't get anywhere else, except out of my garden. But, that's just my philosophy.  :snooty:  ymmv.

That makes sense.

I have several variants,

Katjang Pandjang (also called Kousenband), the beans can reach lengths up to 2' and the plants up to 12' if supplied with lots of compost and support. Very tasty in caribean dishes and stir fries.

I also have the sweetpea Carouby de Maussane which is an incredibally sweet and strong flavoured variant.

Then I also have plenty of German and French varieties, but those are just regular varieties. They are good but not great, so not really worth shipping. All though most german varieties have good cold/wet weather tolerance if that's a factor.

I'm in Europe though, don't need anything in return except the postage.

Back