Hello, also from Michigan

Hey all,

I have been using the site as a reference through the year as I grew my first super hots this season. This site has been a profoundly great resource for the new grower to learn and have a head start to pepper growing successfully!

I grew everything from seed and potted into mostly 3 gallon containers as well as a few lowes 5 gallon buckets. This first year I grew moruga scorpions, Trinidad scorpions, butch t scorpions, ghosts, naga vipers, scotch bonnets, datils, jalapeños, hungarian hot wax, and good old habaneros as well. I had one reaper seed survive and ended up losing the plant when it was about 3 foot tall to a good old storm here in south central MI. I ended up with some chocolate, yellow, and red scorpions, as well as some peach ghost variations which was surprising. I started seeds indoors at the end of March and grew under 2 T12 shop lights until about mid June when I hardened them off and potted them up to their final pots outside, I was that apartment dweller with the 40 pepper plants in 3 gallon pots around the outside of the apartment, ha.

I have about 5, gallon bags full in the freezer in addition to about 15 bottles of sauce and few ounces of dried powders from the season with likely 1 small harvest left before frost. I have made quite a few super hot barbecues, a great chipotle spiced with super hots sauce as well as some lovely slightly fermented super hot vinegar sauces. Of course the scotch bonnets made an awesome jerk sauce as well. The flavors are remarkable of the scorpions and ghosts and I can't wait to have a reaper survive next season as well as try out the newer chocolate douglah that's been developed. They can't breed me hot enough!

Thanks for all of the great sharing of information with the community as it makes new life long growers out of people like me due to initial success without having to get discouraged.

Cheers all!

-Jon

Back