Hello, and help me pick some varieties

First post, i've been reading the forums for a while.  I'm completely new to this, at the beginning of the season I got some seeds to germinate that i got from some dried chiles I bought from the store.  I got my tags mixed up but think i've got a pretty darn healthy chile de arbol plant going.  Currently its in a big plastic pot (maybe 10-15 gallons) and i've got a handful of pods starting to grow on it.  

So with that going on, it already got me thinking of what to do for next year/season.  I'm looking for some tips/ideas on peppers to grow.  Like I said, total newbie on this, but i'm looking for a few different varieties to grow.  Here's what i'd love to be able to make with the harvest:

1. texas style chili
2. homemade hotsauce
3. jerk style chicken
4. salsa

So I've really got no idea on what i should grow.  I will only have room for 3-4 big containers, or maybe 5-6 five gallon buckets.  I figure i need a type of scotch bonnet for the jerk chicken, but otherwise not sure.  I'm not searching for the hottest out there, and really am probably looking for stuff with lots of versatility.  

Any help would be awesome.  I've got lots of time i guess to figure it out, but might as well start thinking about it right?

For #1: serrano
2: tabasco, habanero, or datil
3: habanero
4: serrano for pico de gallo, or jalapeño to mimic the store bought kind, or habanero for mango salsa

I can hook you up with probably most of what would be good for this stuff
Chiltepin
Pequin
Jalapeno
Scotch bonnet
Habanero

Scotch Bonnet or Habanero can be used interchangeably for things like sauces and Jerk marinades, so I'd say find one you like the taste of and use it to fill that niche.
Serranos and Jalapenos are also used interchangeably to quickly punch up the heat in salsas, Tex-mex, curries and Asian food, so the same thing applies.
Some chili powder is a blend of dried and ground Anchos (red-ripe Poblanos), California Chiles (dried, red-ripe Anaheim chiles), ground cumin and garlic powder. This is the most common blend... some blends use other dried chiles as well. Fresh Anaheims and Poblanos can be used for things like chopped green chiles, and taco and enchilada sauces so you can get a lot of mileage from just a few varieties of chiles. Cheers!

Back