Hello from a Plant Breeder

Hello! Let me say first thank all of you for creating this site, it is obvious that a lot of work went into the community.

My name is RespectTheTree and I'm a PhD candidate plant breeder. I work with woody perennial trees, but I dabble in everything including peppers. In fact, peppers were my first introduction into plant breeding while earning my bachelor's degree. I absolutely love plants and plant breeding is simply the most rewarding career, and I'm looking to share that with the internet. I came up with this half-baked idea to do a distributed, community pepper breeding project using a popular social media website to disseminate information, plan crosses, and ultimately distribute hybrid seed to participating growers and make selections to advance in the breeding program. I'm not necessarily here to promote any of that though - I'm not sure your community rules and it seems potentially disrespectful. However, I am here to shamelessly barter for rare and wild species to use towards the goal of community pepper breeding, but I sincerely hope I can contribute reciprocally in time. 

So much of the breeding that I do, whether academically or professionally, is trade secret and can never be shared which is really disheartening on a level. With peppers I want to do the opposite and discover how traits are inherited as a community, and share that information on a level that is accessible to everyone - because plant breeding is really fun and I desperately want more citizen plant breeders in the world. Perhaps we can even create a useful variety to share with the world.

Best,
RTT

g0ddbdH.gif

RespectTheTree said:
I am here to shamelessly barter for rare and wild species to use towards the goal of community pepper breeding, but I sincerely hope I can contribute reciprocally in time.
Well requests should be posted in this forum, Forum Ads...... Good Luck!

RespectTheTree said:
Hello! Let me say first thank all of you for creating this site, it is obvious that a lot of work went into the community.

My name is RespectTheTree and I'm a PhD candidate plant breeder. I work with woody perennial trees, but I dabble in everything including peppers. In fact, peppers were my first introduction into plant breeding while earning my bachelor's degree. I absolutely love plants and plant breeding is simply the most rewarding career, and I'm looking to share that with the internet. I came up with this half-baked idea to do a distributed, community pepper breeding project using a popular social media website to disseminate information, plan crosses, and ultimately distribute hybrid seed to participating growers and make selections to advance in the breeding program. I'm not necessarily here to promote any of that though - I'm not sure your community rules and it seems potentially disrespectful. However, I am here to shamelessly barter for rare and wild species to use towards the goal of community pepper breeding, but I sincerely hope I can contribute reciprocally in time. 

So much of the breeding that I do, whether academically or professionally, is trade secret and can never be shared which is really disheartening on a level. With peppers I want to do the opposite and discover how traits are inherited as a community, and share that information on a level that is accessible to everyone - because plant breeding is really fun and I desperately want more citizen plant breeders in the world. Perhaps we can even create a useful variety to share with the world.

Best,
RTT
So much excitement in your post.

I can say we definitely need more people like you that want to share information in the pepper community. 

What do you think about something such as  a (Capsicum annuum 'Tepin' x C. baccatum 'Lemon Drop') being called a simple annuum rather than an interspecific hybrid?

Or (C. chinense 'Primo' x C. baccatum 'Lemon Drop') being called a simple C. chinense?

What would you thename the following based on those two earlier answers... when a  (C. chinense 'Primo' x C. baccatum 'Lemon Drop') x (Capsicum annuum 'Tepin' x C. baccatum 'Lemon Drop') are crossed together... 

Great to have you aboard!

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:

g0ddbdH.gif

Well requests should be posted in this forum, Forum Ads...... Good Luck!

skullbiker said:
WELCOME TO THP

luvmesump3pp3rz said:

The Hot Pepper said:

sicman said:

podz said:

dragonsfire said:

Nulle said:
:welcome: from Denmark

Thank you guys for the warm welcome! I'm delighted to be here.

PollenNut said:
>What do you think about something such as a (Capsicum annuum 'Tepin' x C. baccatum 'Lemon Drop') being called a simple annuum rather than an interspecific hybrid?

It depends. Is this propagated by seed? If so I guess it would make the most sense to pick between C. x annuum or C. x baccatum depending of the predominant phenotype.

>Or (C. chinense 'Primo' x C. baccatum 'Lemon Drop') being called a simple C. chinense?

The same logic as above, they should be denoted as hybrids.

>What would you then name the following based on those two earlier answers... when a  (C. chinense 'Primo' x C. baccatum 'Lemon Drop') x (Capsicum annuum 'Tepin' x C. baccatum 'Lemon Drop') are crossed together... 

Very cool, so is this really a hybrid of two F1s? I'd have to go with C. x baccatum cv. 'Mutt' as it should statistically be 50% baccatum, 25% annuum and 25% chinense.

Did you really cross C. chinense to baccatum, with chinense being the mother plant? I did not think the cross worked in that direction, and have only gotten baccatum x chinense hybrids.

>Great to have you aboard!
Thank you, nice to be here. 

Back