Hello from Charlotte, NC

Hi everyone!  Just a word of self introduction.  

I've been making my own hot sauce from the hottest peppers I can find in local groceries (habaneros) for a few years and eventually just wasn't doing it for me.  Last year I drove down to Ft. Mill where Puckerbutt's Pepper Sauce company is where reapers were priced at $5 per pepper on the counter (I bought I think 20 peppers for $35, but still...).  Made a 50/50 habanero/reaper blend which was really nice.

This growing season I decided to try growing a few and I have 2 reapers, 2 ghosts, and 2 trinidad moruga scorpions growing, as well as 3 chocolate habaneros.  Hoping late summer to have a bumper crop.

Has anyone else noticed your tolerance for heat building up?  I started making sauce with habaneros by taking all the seeds out and then it seemed like it got weaker and weaker every time I ate it.  So then I made a batch with the seeds in it.  It kicked my a$$ at first, but then same thing it seemed like it got milder and milder.  Same with the reaper/hab blend.  I can't tell if it's my tolerance or if the sauce gets milder with age.

Anyway, good to be here among like-minded people.  Everyone around me thinks there's something wrong with me.

Justin
Charlotte, NC

:welcome:  to the THP forums! Nice to have you aboard! Your definitely experiencing a growth in tolerance to the peppers in the sauce you make (while some may not like that, most want it to build and BUILD.... especially if they may want to directly eat superhots - slivers, quarters, halves, or whole pods.) My tolerance is pretty much back down to baseline compared to what it was. All that effort, pain, and suffering building it up... all for it to dwindle so fast back to almost nothing; that's the 'pepper game' I suppose. Best of luck with your grow this season!

xhasti said:
Hi everyone!  Just a word of self introduction.  

I've been making my own hot sauce from the hottest peppers I can find in local groceries (habaneros) for a few years and eventually just wasn't doing it for me.  Last year I drove down to Ft. Mill where Puckerbutt's Pepper Sauce company is where reapers were priced at $5 per pepper on the counter (I bought I think 20 peppers for $35, but still...).  Made a 50/50 habanero/reaper blend which was really nice.

This growing season I decided to try growing a few and I have 2 reapers, 2 ghosts, and 2 trinidad moruga scorpions growing, as well as 3 chocolate habaneros.  Hoping late summer to have a bumper crop.

Has anyone else noticed your tolerance for heat building up?  I started making sauce with habaneros by taking all the seeds out and then it seemed like it got weaker and weaker every time I ate it.  So then I made a batch with the seeds in it.  It kicked my a$$ at first, but then same thing it seemed like it got milder and milder.  Same with the reaper/hab blend.  I can't tell if it's my tolerance or if the sauce gets milder with age.

Anyway, good to be here among like-minded people.  Everyone around me thinks there's something wrong with me.

Justin
Charlotte, NC

You are gonna fit right in

:welcome:

Welcome!

I haven't really noticed a change in my tolerance, but the people in my life comment often on how freakishly hot my tastes have gotten. Meh.

Back