Hello from DMV

Hello! My name is Adam and I currently live in Virginia, but will soon be moving to the Maryland side of the DMV. Last year I exclusively grew West Indies Red Habaneros after buying some seed from Juanitos. This year I am hoping to grow MOA Scotch Bonnets, West Indies Red Habaneros, and Aji Lemon Drops. Any tips of growing any of these peppers in my region are greatly appreciated as I am not originally from the area and have only lived here for a year. 

Hello.....Welcome to THP.

Hello from the DMV! Peppers grow wonderfully here. Start the seeds early, like right now. You can usually plant outside on April 15th. The past few years we haven't had frost until the first week or two of November.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Hello from the DMV! Peppers grow wonderfully here. Start the seeds early, like right now. You can usually plant outside on April 15th. The past few years we haven't had frost until the first week or two of November.

I started seed in late March last year and then everything died in the late May - early June heatwave that came through while I was in Jamaica. Ended up restarting seed in early June and was able to harvest about 3 lbs of peppers from 8 plants in late October through early November. 

​Any recommendations on what grows well in the DMV or the best way to grow here?  Last year I had everything in 5 gallon fabric pots on the deck and it worked surprisingly well. 

NoCoastDrifter said:

I started seed in late March last year and then everything died in the late May - early June heatwave that came through while I was in Jamaica. Ended up restarting seed in early June and was able to harvest about 3 lbs of peppers from 8 plants in late October through early November. 

​Any recommendations on what grows well in the DMV or the best way to grow here?  Last year I had everything in 5 gallon fabric pots on the deck and it worked surprisingly well. 
I haven't had any issues growing peppers here. Everything seems to thrive. Most of my potted peppers are in root pouches also, so it seems like you are growing similarly as I do.

Back