Hello from Oklahoma

Hello all,

I came across this site while trying to research some scotch bonnet peppers to use in making jerk seasoning.  It has been about 15 years since my family went to Jamaica and believe we all ate our weight in jerk chicken/pork.  There is basically no food culture in Oklahoma for Jamaican food (the only one that sells it didn't even know what a scotch bonnet pepper was).  I enjoy learning to mix all my all own seasonings to make things from scratch, that way I'm never disappointed when the spice mixture is no longer carried at shops. 

I recently attempted my first jerk chicken recipe and it was pretty good but feel it is missing a few things, and unfortunately I can no longer find scotch bonnet peppers locally, the first chocolate ones were a fluke to find.  So I am here to study up on some different types of peppers and figure out the differences between the typesof bonnets I want to try, and either buy some peppers of or seeds and attempt to grow some (which I have also never grown anything, so that would be a new adventure also).

I will be lurking and posting around the forums and am happy to have found The Hot Pepper =)

Shawn

Welcome!  Jerk chicken sounds yummy.  Once you get your recipe perfected, maybe you can share it?  Looking forward hearing about your results.

:welcome:  to the THP forums, mon'!  :cool:  Jerk chicken sounds awesome right now (wondering if anyone made a jerk turkey for Thanksgiving?! THAT sounds awesome!) 

:welcome: I use to live in Woodward. Have you checked the asian supermarkets in Midwest City? There used to be some huge ones there. No telling what you may find there.

hot stuff said:
:welcome: I use to live in Woodward. Have you checked the asian supermarkets in Midwest City? There used to be some huge ones there. No telling what you may find there.
 I have tried all the ones around OKC area, haven't gone to Midwest City yet.  Is a city I try not to visit much lol.
Trident chilli said:
Shawn if you want Scotch Bonnets have a look at my glog and I will send you some seed ... bye the way hello and welcome from the UK
 OK I will check it out, and thank you.

Back