Hello from Smaller Growing

Hello I am a hobby grower attempting to start a small market garden business, but the peppers are just a side project. Currently I have a small grow tent with a DWC Purple UFO and a Kratky Datil Pepper under Sansi LED lights, I'm using Masterblend Tomato 3 part for both. This is my first grow ever.

JWOMlvq.jpg

I'm waiting for seeds for 8 of the 10 Chinese space peppers, which is what I'll be growing this short outdoor season. I'm looking for seeds for [SIZE=11pt]Hangjiao[/SIZE] #2 Meteor and [SIZE=11pt]Hangjiao[/SIZE] #9 Big Bang if anyone has them for sale / trade.

I'm also starting a blog under this name, if you are interested in you can check it out at my username dot com. It's in the early stages and very rough. Eventually I want to do online sales of pods / seeds, but that may be very far down the road. For now I am focusing on hydroponic microgreens. Thanks for reading, I hope to gain a lot of knowledge and meet some fellow hydro pepper people. 

Welcome to the group. Datil peppers are two of my favorites... as I like both the sweet and the hot Datil peppers from Saint Augustine, Florida. Interestingly, your UFO originally came out of Terra Time and Tide Nurery located in Jacksonville, Florida. That last one was originally sold as Capsicum chinense to Mathew Arthur and now is sold at most places as Capsicum chinense... anyway, that is some of the history of the UFO.

The Capsicum chinense 'Datil' has a few stores about it as well. One such story is that it was brought to St. Augustine Florida by indentured Minorcan while others claim it was brought from Cuba by a jelly maker named S.B Valls.

So,  you carry a good bit of Florida history in your growing of those two peppers and should you choose to dabble in hybridizing... that UFO could be used as seed setter with your Datil pepper providing the pollen. Might make for an interesting interspecific hybrid merging two different Florida peppers.

PollenNut said:
Welcome to the group. Datil peppers are two of my favorites... as I like both the sweet and the hot Datil peppers from Saint Augustine, Florida. Interestingly, your UFO originally came out of Terra Time and Tide Nurery located in Jacksonville, Florida. That last one was originally sold as Capsicum chinense to Mathew Arthur and now is sold at most places as Capsicum chinense... anyway, that is some of the history of the UFO.

The Capsicum chinense 'Datil' has a few stores about it as well. One such story is that it was brought to St. Augustine Florida by indentured Minorcan while others claim it was brought from Cuba by a jelly maker named S.B Valls.

So,  you carry a good bit of Florida history in your growing of those two peppers and should you choose to dabble in hybridizing... that UFO could be used as seed setter with your Datil pepper providing the pollen. Might make for an interesting interspecific hybrid merging two different Florida peppers.
I actually knew this and plan on doing some crossbreeding! I miss Northern Florida so bad I wanted to grow a little taste of home up here in Portland. Thanks so much for the history!

smallergrowing said:
I actually knew this and plan on doing some crossbreeding! I miss Northern Florida so bad I wanted to grow a little taste of home up here in Portland. Thanks so much for the history!
Bring on the interspecific hybrid my friend. Personally, I'd make the cross multiple times both ways... and heck yes.... that is some homage to Florida!

Back