Hello from Southern Illinois ( or the So ILL as we call it )

Hi everyone. Checking in from the southern illinois region. I will probably be adding several more threads on here.

Needless to say I love hot peppers. Especially the habaneros. about 6 or so years ago was my first experience growing peppers, and it was successful. I have not really grown anything since then, although i have tried this year.

My first attempt at starting from seed this year was and is still pending an utter failure using seeds from pepper joe. I used these seeds my first time growing and they did well, but this time no.

So, marking these seeds up as a failure and now just a fun experiment to see if i maybe can salvage them... i have moved on to new things this weekend.

I just placed an order with Cross Country Nursery to order a dozen pepper plants, and figure i can hopefully have better success with a dozen plants than 72 or so seeds.

I have One Devils Tongue plant, 2 Mustard Habanero Plants ( REALLY excited for this one, sounds delicious), 2 Red Savina Habanero plants, 2 Kung Pao Hybrid Plants, 2 Yellow Scotch Bonnet Plants, 2 Japanese Takanotsume ( I have very many plans for these, im hoping to have enough of these for enough home made stir fry lunch specials to take to work), and one of the Thai Red Plants ( not the thai sun, these look to be 2-3 inches long and are "very hot").

I am hoping to gather enough information I need to set up an adequate growing setup for these peppers. I have just recently caught my career break out of graduating college, started a job i really want, and may end up moving mid summer to be closer to work.

So I am thinking I will want to grow these dozen plants in containers of some sort. I have always heard/read that the 5 gallon containers work well from Pepper Joes and other places, so my immediate idea is to do that. I am wanting to do this as low budget as possible.

I also like the idea of using containers, as the lovely southern illinois weather can be brutal on plants. The last thing I want is to have what is already over 100 dollars invested in pepper plants this year to be snapped/broken/killed by the great thunderstorms. In other words, these peppers are irreplaceable. hah.

I look forward to meeting some good people on this board, and learning a lot. Thanks for stopping by, and im open to any/all advice.

Hello from somewhere in your neck of the woods!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Hopefully graduating soon, may or may not be moving in the middle of the year, it's a mess. Buckets are definitely the way to go; it's helpful to be able to move the plants into a bit of shade in the middle of summer, unless you think you can stay on top of their watering.

Good luck with your season.

Back