Hello to All!!! I survived!!! I'm back for a few weeks.

Hello to all of you wonderful chileheads!!
I've missed interacting with you.

Sorry I've been gone, but the semester got a little hairy. I was putting in 60-70 hour weeks, and the internet just wasn't an option.

I look forward t hearing about any new products out there.

Which reminds me....I've got a story for the Defcon Creator regarding his Defcon 0. The condensed version, you producers out there got me a little wary of using my self-infused habanero olive oil (something about botulism frightens me) in my chicken marsala (my wife's favorite dish).

Anyway, the marsala dish just hasn't been the same without that habanero kick. I look in my fridge one night, and there it was; a bottle of Defcon 0. I added 15-20 drops, and voila!! Chicken Marsala with an attitude! You'll have to try it sometime. Let me know, and I'll post my recipe (although it is vague...I don't use measuring devices when I cook.)

Anyway,it's great to be back for a little while.

Josh

DEFCON Creator said:
15-20 drops, I'm proud of you. Question, did it burn twice? :shock:

Interesting question. It was added to a skillet of chicken, olive oil, marsala wine, and mushroons....and my wife's palate doesn't run to the extreme that mine does. It made her nose run, and she kept fanning her mouth, if that tells you anything...but she loved it.

No, didn't burn going out. But, like going in, after a while, I think you build up a tolerance, and just don't notice it as much.

You'll have to try it.

Oh believe me, I've tried it. We call it quality control. My wife thinks I have serious brain damage from the amount I find myself ingesting. I have found a bit of a tolerance build-up, but not enough to completely quell the flames of happiness. Try a drop or 2 in a Defcon Mary (worcestershire sauce, vodka, ice and 3-4 ounces of #3 or #2), it's somewhat of a cult hit around here, and will definitely put lead in your pencil. :party:

staffing said:

Sorry I've been gone, but the semester got a little hairy. I was putting in 60-70 hour weeks, and the internet just wasn't an option.

Which reminds me....I've got a story for the Defcon Creator regarding his Defcon 0. The condensed version, you producers out there got me a little wary of using my self-infused habanero olive oil (something about botulism frightens me) in my chicken marsala (my wife's favorite dish).

Anyway, the marsala dish just hasn't been the same without that habanero kick. I look in my fridge one night, and there it was; a bottle of Defcon 0. I added 15-20 drops, and voila!! Chicken Marsala with an attitude! You'll have to try it sometime. Let me know, and I'll post my recipe (although it is vague...I don't use measuring devices when I cook.)

Josh

Welcome back, Josh. As a veteran of way too much college chemistry, I salute you. :clap:

- Joe

LinNJoe said:
staffing said:

Josh

Welcome back, Josh. As a veteran of way too much college chemistry, I salute you. :clap:

- Joe

Thanks, Joe. Better hold off on the salute, though. I have to get through Org. Chem II and both Physics courses now....not to mention the MCAT, etc. etc. etc.

It is a small victory. For now, it's great, but I have promises to keep, and many miles before I sleep.

FWIW, I think many students find OChem II a little easier than OChem I. OChem I is a hodgepodge of basics, while OC2 is usually just acid/base chemistry (follow the electrons). The only people who can't cut OC2 are the people who can't cut OC 1, and the prof let them slide by because they are too afraid to fail them :clap: I'm speaking from experiece on that one. If you understand basics like "Elecrons attack electron deficient atoms", resonance structures, and pKa, then you shouldn't have many problems. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask me, I'm a professional :mrgreen:

dreamtheatervt said:
FWIW, I think many students find OChem II a little easier than OChem I. OChem I is a hodgepodge of basics, while OC2 is usually just acid/base chemistry (follow the electrons). The only people who can't cut OC2 are the people who can't cut OC 1, and the prof let them slide by because they are too afraid to fail them :banghead: I'm speaking from experiece on that one. If you understand basics like "Elecrons attack electron deficient atoms", resonance structures, and pKa, then you shouldn't have many problems. If you need help, don't be afraid to ask me, I'm a professional :mrgreen:
====================
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. From what I understand, Org.Chem II is easier simply because you are used to the workload, and you know what is expected of you. I saw many people's dreams of med school evaporate in I last semester. I actually enjoy the synthesis aspect of Org Chem, and the "follow the electron bit you mentioned seems like a follow-up to the SN2, SN1, E2, and E1 reactions I studied all last semester. As it turns out, I missed an a by less than 1 point. Oh well. I won't fall short this semester....

I hope...

staffing said:
====================
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. From what I understand, Org.Chem II is easier simply because you are used to the workload, and you know what is expected of you. I saw many people's dreams of med school evaporate in I last semester. I actually enjoy the synthesis aspect of Org Chem, and the "follow the electron bit you mentioned seems like a follow-up to the SN2, SN1, E2, and E1 reactions I studied all last semester. As it turns out, I missed an a by less than 1 point. Oh well. I won't fall short this semester....

I hope...

Josh,

Avoid the mistake I made which made it tougher to get into medical school. I screwed up many of the easy pre-med course (like physics) yet managed to completely ace my upper-division courses for my major. It painted a very strange picture of me academically which probably delayed by getting accepted for about 1-2 years. :onfire:

I loved OC2, more so than OC1...yet managed a solid "B" in both of them. I aced the labs, tho, which made it look a little better for me in that regard. The rest of my chem courses were of the clinical lab variety, so you won't likely spend time in any of those.

Beware physics. Loathed it. Physics ba-a-a-a-d.....
:banghead:

- Joe

LinNJoe said:
staffing said:
====================

I hope...

Josh,

Avoid the mistake I made which made it tougher to get into medical school. I screwed up many of the easy pre-med course (like physics) yet managed to completely ace my upper-division courses for my major. It painted a very strange picture of me academically which probably delayed by getting accepted for about 1-2 years. :onfire:

I loved OC2, more so than OC1...yet managed a solid "B" in both of them. I aced the labs, tho, which made it look a little better for me in that regard. The rest of my chem courses were of the clinical lab variety, so you won't likely spend time in any of those.

Beware physics. Loathed it. Physics ba-a-a-a-d.....
:banghead:

- Joe

Thanks for the added advice. I had a friend this semester that did just that: he bet it all on Organic. He got an A in the course,but B's in Bio III, Trig, and organic lab.

I took the opposite route. Obviously it is better to have your lowest grade in the course in which it is most forgivable.....Organic Chemistry. Just missed an A in it, but had solid A's in Calculus, Biology, and both labs.

I've heard mixed things about Physics. I'm taking it this summer (just prior to my MCAT) by itself. I'm a hard worker, so I think I'll be allright. Unfortunately, I don't think they offer the Calculus-based Physics in the summer. Just the regular course. I heard mixed things about that as well.

Oh, well. They put up the hoops, I jump through them. 😉

Josh

DEFCON Creator said:

Oh, well. They put up the hoops, I jump through them. 😉

Josh[/quote]

Man, it's starting to sound like marriage. :banghead:[/quote]

Close....I'm married to my goal. By the way, I love the way you put the chemical shorthand for capsaicin on your website.

Back