• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help growing Chile's that are different heights

I go through this every year. I start my seedlings inside, under a T5 Floro. The problem is that the light is vertical and some peppers are taller than others. In order to keep the shorter peppers closer to the light, I create bases consisting of DVD's and clay pot bottoms. Sometimes I stack up empty pots for height.

The system works, but it is extremely kludgy. I adjust the light height and bases daily.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Just an idea, put all the tall ones to say the left & moving to the right with descending down to smaller plants & then put you light at a 45° angle (raised at one end).

Mezo.

Some people do what Mezo mentioned, it seems to work pretty well. Another option would be to plant your tall ones later than the short. I.E. Annuum and Baccatums go a month or so after the chinense. That should keep the issue more manageable.

That is a good idea. My light hangs as it is connected to the top frame via clips. The clips are attached to rings that are at the end of nylon rope. I did something wrong when I initially assembled it, as even though the clips are attached it the correctly marked places, the light is not level. It is not off by a lot, but one end is a little lower. I do suspect there is a safe way to hang it at a 45 degree angle.

Guys,

Check out my Kludge. Isn't it a thing of beauty:

111d1ccb.jpg

1efcbc68.jpg

I have a "climbing shelf" I made that works well. Also I have plants growing right up against the bulbs. No worries as my t12s aren't burning them. OK a few purple leaves, but they don't die, the leaf just stays purple. lol. I am not sure of the heat output difference between t12's and t5's, but if close just let them reach the light and "lick" it all they want. Just my opinion from my experience.

Ok - When I am out of the house for more than a few hours, I usually raise the light, as I am afraid the some plants will grow and touch the light. If that is not dangerous, then I can leave the lights closer all of the time. I am assuming that a t12 is stronger than a t5. If that is true, than I suspect the t5 emits less heat.

Back