• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

HELP! I lost my recipe, is there anything I can do?

OK, so one of the 3 sauces I was pushing forward with, I cannot find the recipe for. I either threw it out accidentally or it got stuck to something else... I also can't find it in my laptop either. I have a laptop with a log of all my recipes that I type them in as soon as the batch is done.

I cannot find the recipe in the computer either. I have all the recipes up to and around this one... This is nuts.

Is there anything I can do to help pull it apart again? I have an idea of what was in there, but I used a myriad of spices and got a unique taste that people seem to love.

What's worse than not having the recipe is all my measurements I did out in grams for scaling.

Any services that can pull it apart for me?

I have less than 1 gallon of the recipe left. What can I do?

You're in CT. Call over to a few food manufacturerss and see if they can recommend a company. Call the local FBI office and ask what labs they use to detect toxic substances in food.Anyone with that type of equipment can break it down to micro ingredients..
" Have your wallet full" when you begin.

If it was put in in the laptop it's likely still there. Ctrl+F on the hard disk and search for the sauce name or some of the spices you used.
If that doesn't work check between the washer and dryer or under the fridge, I lose stuff there all the time.

OK, so one of the 3 sauces I was pushing forward with, I cannot find the recipe for. I either threw it out accidentally or it got stuck to something else... I also can't find it in my laptop either. I have a laptop with a log of all my recipes that I type them in as soon as the batch is done.

I cannot find the recipe in the computer either. I have all the recipes up to and around this one... This is nuts.

Is there anything I can do to help pull it apart again? I have an idea of what was in there, but I used a myriad of spices and got a unique taste that people seem to love.

What's worse than not having the recipe is all my measurements I did out in grams for scaling.

Any services that can pull it apart for me?

I have less than 1 gallon of the recipe left. What can I do?

It's on the laptop somewhere. Forensic computer techs would have no trouble pulling it out. It shouldn't cost a ton either, just looking for that one file.

The less you do on the laptop between now and when the file can be searched for, the better off you are.

Or you could look for it yourself. There are programs out there that will do it for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bR5soR7qO8

If it was on you computer it is still there. When you delete a file and empty the recycle bin it exists in a hidden area where it is only fully removed when there is space needed and it removes it, so if you have a hard drive that has a lot of space, it is there. What you need is recovery software as an OS is not equipped to recover it.

ok so an update to this. My father was walking through my garrage and spotted a piece of folded up paper under my work bench. turns out this is not marked as mash 010, but it does have many of the remembered ingredients in my recipe that was missing, and does make reference to a mash 002 I had set in reserve. It may have been a second copy of the sauce that I came up with as a model / core, as it's missing any of my scratch I usually mark it up with (measurements in grams, times, etc)

So what this means is that I will try making this sauce as seen on my paper here and see if any memories come back.

This is good news!

There is a program Recuva for Windows that I believe is free http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Yes use this Recuva. Also stop using the computer and pull the hard drive and slave to another computer. I can walk you through that if needed. The reason I say stop using it is Windows overwrites the deleted files as it needs the space, so if you stop using the computer now, it'll cut the chance of windows overwriting the deleted files.

Back