Help me decide which plants to OW this year

Which 2 should stay under lights?

• Habanero (Shortest yet fullest, most productive of the four)

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Serrano (2nd biggest, 2nd most productive, love the flavor/heat of the ones its produced so far)

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • Jalapeno (Average size, only has a few pods but the ones on it so far are shaping up to be some mons

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Cayenne (Takes up the most room, average productivity)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is my first time posting a poll on here, so hopefully this works.  This winter I have enough room to keep 2 plants under lights and then the remianing 2 will be left in my basement to go dormant.  This poll is to help me decide which ones get to come in under lights.  So far I'm almost positive the Habanero has a reserved spot, leaving the other 3 to compete for the right to stay active this winter.

1001577_10151780210504099_99678967_n.jpg

Habanero (Shortest yet fullest, most productive of the 4)

1170906_10151780212559099_214167178_n.jpg

Serrano (2nd biggest, 2nd most productive, love the flavor/heat of the ones its produced so far)

1186048_10151780212099099_1268148457_n.jpg

Jalapeno (Average size, only has a few pods but the ones on it so far are shaping up to be some monsters!)

1148955_10151780209634099_241402095_n.jpg

Cayenne (Takes up the most room, average productivity)

keep the most productive ones producing, while letting the others go dormant, hoping they'll make a strong effort come spring.  That's what I would do.

Wustenfuchs said:
In my experience annuums don't overwinter as well as the chinenses and baccatums.
Ok noob question time, which plants are which type? All I know is the Habanero is a chinense, figured the other were all annums.

sreinhard88 said:
Hmm alright then, so you're saying I'll have the most luck with the Hab?  What do you mean by annuums don't OW as well?
In my opinion, and it's only based on my experience, chinense overwinters easier than annuum.  I don't know why.  Perhaps because the chinenses can get along with lower light.  During the season all my plants benefit from some shade and broken sunlight but the chinenses seem to really flourish in it.  

Wustenfuchs said:
In my opinion, and it's only based on my experience, chinense overwinters easier than annuum.  I don't know why.  Perhaps because the chinenses can get along with lower light.  During the season all my plants benefit from some shade and broken sunlight but the chinenses seem to really flourish in it.  
Hmm alright then, I'm hoping light shouldn't be an issue; I did quite a bit of research on lighting before purchasing a 250W MH light (22,000 lumens) and fixture and two 23W cfls (1600 lumens ea.) which gives me 3,150 lumens/sq.ft., which I imagine will be plenty of light for just 2 plants.  Guess we'll find out this winter

I'd say the the same. Chinense for one, and also productivity and what you actually like will hell you decide. Good luck.

, Walter

Cut back the cayenne a little and ow it, you'll be amazed by second year production. My ow cayenne is pumping pods like crazy and i find it very useful in everyday's cooking and as a base for mixing with hotter stuff. I know everyone says annums does not overwinter well but this year i've successfully ow 3 different annuums...

Cya

Datil

Back