Help me develop an idea?

I'm calling it sweet slaw. The idea is to pickle julienned strips of onions and jalapenos with sugar and white vinegar. Probably some garlic in there too. No seeds to make a better texture.

It could be served as a hot dog or burger topping.

sounds like it could be good. if your looking for a relish flavor, would you use some dill or other pickling spice type flavors? "slaw" makes me think of adding carrot shreds also. They would look nice and hold up well to a pickling process. But if you're thinking more "relish" then maybe not carrots.

have fun experimenting, and remember....we luuuuv pics! ;)
SL

yes..PICS!...Gets those helpful brain cells workin! Juliened jicama is crisp clean tasting and absorbs flavors well......

sounds like your trying to do a slight twist to something thats already slightly mass produced....."chow-chow"
ingredients- cabbage, sugar, onions, vinegar, chiles, salt, spices.
& yes its great on burgers & hotdogs & whatever you like that pickeled relish taste added to.

I've had a culinary student recommend Jicama to me as well. I get the cabbage idea, but I'll probably pass on that. I'm not sure I want any other ingredient as a filler. I think the onions and peppers will bed enough body, but then the flavor might be too strong. So I'm not convinced yet. Shredded carrots are a maybe, but just as a color accent. I could also throw in some variety of sweet pepper.

I know I want it sweet and mild. I'l going to de-seed the penos and have a 50-50 mix of peppers to other ingredients. I'm going to have to play around with the amount of sugar I add to it too.

Back