• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil help me pick what to add to my soil

I just used a luster leaf soil test kit on my garden.  I have a 5 by 20 ft section I've been using and I'm extending it another 5 by 20 this year. So I prepared A soil sample  from each section.  I tested both samples at least twice for all 3 main nutrients, and ph.   Nutrients were approximately the same. low nitrogen(10mg/l) low phosforus (5 mg/l) high potassium(600mg/l) The potassium test was a pain in the butt. So I could have made a mistake determining just how cloudy the liquid was. 

However the ph was different  between the two section. The old section was high, around 7.5. The unused section was around perfect 6.25 or so.

Even though I'm confident I did the tests correct. One thing that is confusing me is that I also tested with a rapitest 4 way analyzer. The needle maxes out on fertility no matter where I put it. So I was expecting all my numbers to be high. The ph test on the rapitest gives similar results to the luster leaf.

My soil is also mostly heavy clay.  So I was thinking of adding perlite, or sand for drainage. 

But my budget is extremely low. I might be able to sneak 100$ past my wife. Less would be better. 

So what would be the best thing to spend my money on?  I don't think the perlite fits my budget. So was leaning towards a few bags of sand and as many bags of compost as I can afford. Should I put something on the old plot to lower the ph?

I also got a bag of miracle  grow bone meal on clearance last fall. It is supposed to be good for 90 sq ft. But was thinking of just  spreading it around the 200 sq ft. It should at least add a bit of nitrogen and phosphate. Or should I just put a bit under each transplant?

If you're looking at adding compost have you checked around at local landscaping companies or nurseries? Many times you can get bulk compost for much cheaper than buying it by the bag. Like $25-$30 for a pickup truck load. Might be able to find manure that way as well. My local place has a screened topsoil and compost/pine bark fine mix for $24 per cubic yd and mushroom compost for $30.

Scorched said:
If you're looking at adding compost have you checked around at local landscaping companies or nurseries? Many times you can get bulk compost for much cheaper than buying it by the bag. Like $25-$30 for a pickup truck load. Might be able to find manure that way as well. My local place has a screened topsoil and compost/pine bark fine mix for $24 per cubic yd and mushroom compost for $30.
+ 1      :onfire:

But my budget is extremely low. I might be able to sneak 100$ past my wife. Less would be better. 

I just acquired a new raised bed. Needed lots of soil. Buying individual bags would have been a nightmare $$$. Checked out a local landscape materials company and I was quoted $60 for enough of their 'organic planter mix' to fill it. My raised bed is 7 x 3.7 and 18 inches deep. If I went with their regular 'planter mix' it would have been cheaper. Anyways :) They also offer 'organic compost', mushroom compost, and worm castings. Just like Scorched said this is something I could fill up the back of my truck with for cheap. Various kinds of sand should be at places like this as well. 

Where I live the ground is red clay so it's horrible. The course manager made a mistake of buying lots of really good soil and he said I can have as much of it I was want so I've been lucky with it so far

Where I live the ground is red clay so it's horrible.
You're about an hour and a half from me. Probably have very similar soil. Definitely needs love. It's funny how often my friends and family just buy plants from Home Depot or a nursery and plant them directly in our clay. They don't amend or anything else for that matter. Later they all complain about not having a 'green thumb', or just claim those plants simply can't grow here lol

LA 2 the Bay said:
Where I live the ground is red clay so it's horrible. The course manager made a mistake of buying lots of really good soil and he said I can have as much of it I was want so I've been lucky with it so far

Actually that adobe clay has lots of great minerals and nutrients in it. If you have the patience, use gypsum to break down clay soils and make them more usable. I had a really nice vegetable garden in that red clay when I lived in Petaluma. But it was a bit of work to make it happen.  Oh, also rice hulls would be good too.

arrgh said:

My soil is also mostly heavy clay.  So I was thinking of adding perlite, or sand for drainage. 

Both are really cheap.

I used gypsum and lots of horse shit, among other things. Almost all of petaluma is on that adobe red clay. 

I have looked online for bulk compost, soil, etc. I haven't found any. Most of the nurseries aren't even open yet. And the ones that are just have the same bags as lowes for twice the price. I have a couple gravel yards close to me.  They have sand but I don't think I need enough sand to make it worth the bother. Do gravel yards usually carry compost, or anything else that would help me?  

Even if I find some, I'm not sure I would be able to find a truck to borrow.

Should I try to fix the 7.5 ph on 1/2 the garden, or is that likely close enough?

Have you tried searching yellowpages online with your zip ode? I always have found nurseries that sell bulk at VERY good prices.

Lovepeppers said:
Have you tried searching yellowpages online with your zip ode? I always have found nurseries that sell bulk at VERY good prices.

I've done a ton of online searches of my area.  Very few of the greenhouses have a web page, and the few that do don't list bulk materials.  Its kinda pathetic not to have a webpage in 2015, but I guess that is just a problem with the area I live.

I will ask the 2 people I know with trucks if I can borrow. If one says yes, I will call all the greenhouses until I find some.   If I could just find huge bags, that would work too. I have a chevy blazer, so I have plenty of room, but I just can't dump the stuff in the back of it.  Hmm as I was typing I had a thought. If I bought a few large trash cans could most places fill them? Or do they just want to dump it in truck with big bucket loader?

No one answered my ph question. Should I put something different on the section that Is around 7.5?

Mix in leaves, compost and wood chips.  Add more to the top and let sit for a year.  Do not add sand.  Sand a clay more times than not turn into a concrete type material that will take even longer to fix.  Seriously though on plain old organic matter.  I have red clay.  The worst type you can think of.  I bent a pick axe trying to dig a garden 3 years ago.  Used fall leaves and wood chips and now have dark black and loose soil that is FILLED with worms.

If you want it to work this year, get as many super cheap bags of compost and manure as you can from your local store.  Lowes and Home Depot go on their crazy spring rampage about this time every year and you can get bags for like 1.25 each.  Load up.  Mix what you can in and then just top with the rest.  Clay soils actually contain amazing amounts of nutrients but do not let the plants get to them.  

I agree with Millworkman. Also those pH tests are not accurate at all but I have to ask why worry about the pH in the ground?
Get some good amendments in the soil and don't worry about the ridiculous pH mantra people are brainwashed into believing.
Unless you are growing hydroponically it doesn't matter.

arrgh said:

I've done a ton of online searches of my area.  Very few of the greenhouses have a web page, and the few that do don't list bulk materials.  Its kinda pathetic not to have a webpage in 2015, but I guess that is just a problem with the area I live.

I will ask the 2 people I know with trucks if I can borrow. If one says yes, I will call all the greenhouses until I find some.   If I could just find huge bags, that would work too. I have a chevy blazer, so I have plenty of room, but I just can't dump the stuff in the back of it.  Hmm as I was typing I had a thought. If I bought a few large trash cans could most places fill them? Or do they just want to dump it in truck with big bucket loader?

No one answered my ph question. Should I put something different on the section that Is around 7.5?

Garbage cans would be ridiculously heavy.  You would have hell getting them in/out.  My local landscaping supply sold me some old 30g tree nursery pots filled with a compost mixture for $5 each.  They weighed about 100-120lbs each.

Back