breeding Help me understand cross pollination.

This is something i'm starting to think about since i'm growing 20 some different types of peppers this year but am unclear what and how this will effect my grow.

I understand pollination but not so sure on the cross pollination part, Do I have to worry about my true plants contaminating each other and producing untrue pods or does it jack the seeds up?

If cross pollination occurs it will "jack" up any seeds you save from this years grow, thus creating a cross/hybrid in next years peppers if you decide to grow seeds saved this year. Pods grown this year year wiil be unaffected and will grow true.

neoguy said:
If cross pollination occurs it will "jack" up any seeds you save from this years grow, thus creating a cross/hybrid in next years peppers if you decide to grow seeds saved this year. Pods grown this year year wiil be unaffected and will grow true.

So basically theres no way to prevent this if you are growing outdoors?

Gargoyle91 said:

So basically theres no way to prevent this if you are growing outdoors?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking about isolation of plants, of course there are ways around it. But, again, I'm not sure what you're asking, please clarify.

neoguy said:

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking about isolation of plants, of course there are ways around it. But, again, I'm not sure what you're asking, please clarify.

OK If growing outdoors how do you prevent Cross pollination would be a better question.

Isolation is done by distance or physical barriers. Isolation by distance can vary depending on whom you agree with, 500' to 2 miles. I use a net in my backyard, this is NOT the best and most respected method, but it is convenient and I don't sell my seeds for profit. I only trade seed but I always say that that is no guarantee the seeds will grow true. 

The netting I use is what is used by commercial painters for their paint buckets:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-5-gal-Elastic-Top-Strainers-2-Pack-11573-36WF/202061360

Back