• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Help.... My first hot sauce tastes like spicy apple sauce.

We'll I made my first one with some chocolate scorpions and I used mango apple onion garlic apple cider vinegar and salt and it just tastes like spicy apple sauce. I guess my fruit to pepper ratio was off... I wanted more of a hot sauce taste....

The heat is there it's just weird tasting. Any advice? Also how long is this stuff safe in the fridge without knowing the ph?

When I started I used the basics, peppers, onion, garlic, salt, sugar, vinegar and water. After the first year I started to experiment with other flavors. Start with the basic and move forward from there.

Hummm, I'd start with adding more onion and garlic maybe add some carrots to try and take down the apple flavor. If you need more acid go with lime or lemon juice as more ACV will just be adding more apple. Go with Rice Vinegar if you want that. Simmer the grid out of it low and slow bottle and give it a week or 2 before you taste it.

More peppers, less apples. And if you're afraid it will be too hot use additional lower heat peppers. Also the liquid (vinegar) is low on the list there, I imagine the thickness is also playing into the apple sauce feel. Bump that up or use a juice, or even water.

Example:

fataliis, chocolate scorpions, water, apple cider vinegar, mango, apple, onion, garlic, salt 

Alright! I don't really like the taste of the chocolate Trinidad in did however like the taste of the red one.... I appreciate all the advice! This is a great board.

can you give us the proportions of ingredients used? as others have said, just sounds like too much 'other' stuff and not enough pepper flavor. how ripe was the mango? that can cause odd flavors.

Honestly I don't think the chocolate scorpions, mango and apple(and onion) are a good blend, each has a specific flavor to them that I think it would clash with each other giving you that "odd" flavor....granted not nasty but not the distinct taste you may be after.

I use my smoked Jamaican Hot Chocolates I grow with a recipe that uses apples (or applesauce) and keep the ingredients to a minimum so that one doesn't over-power the other. In my first attempts I think I put everything but the kitchen sink in thinking that .... "Hey, I like these flavors let's put'em all together" ...bleah :sick:

Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Minimize then build on that like others suggested....and if using some vinegar or other PH lowering addition your concoction it should last several weeks+ in the fridge.

Happy Cooking and Goodluck !

OhioHeat

hoibot said:
can you give us the proportions of ingredients used? as others have said, just sounds like too much 'other' stuff and not enough pepper flavor. how ripe was the mango? that can cause odd flavors.

Ok I used 5-6 Chocolate Scorpions, 1 large apple (maybe Ambrosia),1 mango, 1 head of garlic, 1 white onion, 1/2 lb of carrots, one lime and two pinches of salt.
OhioHeat said:
Honestly I don't think the chocolate scorpions, mango and apple(and onion) are a good blend, each has a specific flavor to them that I think it would clash with each other giving you that "odd" flavor....granted not nasty but not the distinct taste you may be after.

I use my smoked Jamaican Hot Chocolates I grow with a recipe that uses apples (or applesauce) and keep the ingredients to a minimum so that one doesn't over-power the other. In my first attempts I think I put everything but the kitchen sink in thinking that .... "Hey, I like these flavors let's put'em all together" ...bleah :sick:

Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Minimize then build on that like others suggested....and if using some vinegar or other PH lowering addition your concoction it should last several weeks+ in the fridge.

Happy Cooking and Goodluck !

OhioHeat
I really like the flavor of the red ones better.  I wasn't crazy about the chocolate ones.

JoeFish said:

Ok I used 5-6 , 1 large apple (maybe Ambrosia),1 mango, 1 head of garlic, 1 white onion, 1/2 lb of carrots, one lime and two pinches of salt.
I really like the flavor of the red ones better.  I wasn't crazy about the chocolate ones.
I can't speak about the flavor of the Chocolate Scorpions but my JCH's have a natural smokey flavor to them(and some pretty hardy heat) so when I smoke them w/applewood and use them w/apples or applesauce & cinnamon and other ingredients the flavors blend. 
  Would you consider the Choc. Scorps to be bitter or ??? Peoples taste buds can differ so sometimes it's about personal likes and dislikes.
Goodluck and Happy Experimenting !

OhioHeat

Back