• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Help - Need ideas

I've posted about a project I want to do for the county fair this year but it's getting down to finalizing plans and soon ordering seeds or plants.

In case you missed it, my goal is to have a few containers - clear ones but 30 gallon or larger in size, to grow veggies/herbs in, using a theme. Visitors will (hopefully) be able to see the roots of root veggies forming and at the same time, see foliage of other plants. It's the plants that can go into a theme container, as well as sources for them, I need help on, at least in a couple of areas.

For instance, one container's theme will be something like "Bugs Bunny's Wabbit Patch." Along the edges I will grow carrots, turnips and beets, sowing them so people can actually see the mentioned in the dirt. In the middle can be lettuce, cabbage and Swiss Chard.

Another one, might be foods served almost every meal: potatoes, corn and beans. Potatoes and yams around the edge, corn and pole beans in the middle.

A Spice of Life theme: herbs in the middle, onions, garlic and horseradish on the sides.

I also want a Peanut Butter & Jelly theme - Peanuts with strawberries and grapes. I've got the peanut and strawberry seeds (the latter are in the freezer undergoing stratification) but I'm having trouble finding grape vines that will 1) produce grapes this year, and 2) do not require that I order at least $60 worth of vines, plus pay shipping charges.

So two questions: Any ideas for another or multiple containers or things I can add to the ones I have planned. And do you know of a site that sells grape vines that will produce fruit (even if it is only for looks and really won't mature enough to use this year) but doesn't charge an arm and a leg and also another near and dear body part?

Last year, over 11,000 people came to the event and we are hoping to top 20,000 this year. I want the one small area I am taking care of to be impressive so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

PS - I can grow stuff upstairs or in my GH now and transplant later. Frost Free is May 15, the fair is in the middle of August.

kinda confused to the questions.
kinda answered the grape question in your other thread.
theme for growing veggies/herbs ? throw in dirt & grow.
if asking what to use for clear containers, you might have to build them with plexi glass sides to see the roots an such.

Darn it, CH - I know what I mean, why don't you??? (J/K)

Looking for more themes for containers or more veggies/fruits I can add to the ones I'm planning. The containers can be up to 116 quarts in size and the only stipulation is that I have to have a root vegetable along the sides and then something that goes with it in the middle.

HTH!

Mike

how about a salsa tub?

tomato, green pepper, purple onion, cilantro, garlic, hot peppers, chives, green onions, maybe add carrots since they seem to be showing up in sauces lately. Can you do a small lime tree in there also?

It sounds like you already have your clear 30 gallon containers.

For the grape vine, maybe contact a vineyard that has some smaller vines and ask if you can BORROW a fruiting vine for a week. Make sure to offer to give them credit in the display, (Grapevine courtesy of XYZ Winery).

Sounds like a fun project, lots of pics along the way, I hope...

You could pick any one of a number of regions or ethnic foods-

My first thought was Italian-
eggplant, tomato, basil, oregano, thyme, wheat (for semolina for pasta), garlic, onion,

then I got to thinking about a "down south" pot-
sweet potato, goobers, okra, watermelon, eggplant, garlic.............

or southwest/Mexican-
peppers, pinto or black beans, appropriate herbs, cilantro, lime, garlic,

Snap peas are a nice addition if you can work them in somewhere.

PB&J tub- can you get wheat/oats/or other grain in there?

(notice how garlic seems to end up in all the pots I'd put together :) )

renewable fuels? corn, soybean, might need some research on this one-

how about a fibers pot? cotton, hemp, rice, bamboo, lots of plant fibers out there that are used for clothes and other stuff. Not sure if you want to keep it edibles only but a Fibers tub could have quite a lot of stuff in it and be very educational.

hope it helps~

salsalady said:
You could pick any one of a number of regions or ethnic foods-

My first thought was Italian-
eggplant, tomato, basil, oregano, thyme, wheat (for semolina for pasta), garlic, onion,

One of the containers will be "Spice of life." Horseradish, garlic and onions as the root plants; oregano, basil thyme and several others as the "above ground" plants.

then I got to thinking about a "down south" pot-
sweet potato, goobers, okra, watermelon, eggplant, garlic.............

I like this. Gotta find lots of southern food people grow. Watermelon is probably out - I can't see a container holding it unless I find a variety that grows on a small trellis.

or southwest/Mexican-

peppers, pinto or black beans, appropriate herbs, cilantro, lime, garlic,

Need a root plant to go with this. Suggestions?

how about a fibers pot? cotton, hemp, rice, bamboo, lots of plant fibers out there that are used for clothes and other stuff. Not sure if you want to keep it edibles only but a Fibers tub could have quite a lot of stuff in it and be very educational.

I love this! I know some people who are really into growing hemp! I can skip the root part for this container.

hope it helps~

It does - a bunch!

Mike

re: Southwest/Mexican

"Need a root plant to go with this. Suggestions?"

How about Jicama?

Just a WAT

DownRiver,

I would need a barrel to grow that thing in. It does sound interesting but I need to start it now if I want a decent tuber by August! Hopefully, the seeds will ship soon and very soon and I can find a clear garbage can. Thanks for the suggestion - pics of everything that turns out decently!

Mike

Back