• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Help, One of the meanest pest I have ever fought

Man I have a prob with one tuff ambray, Crawfish, crawdad, mudpuppy, or I have been useing a lot of four letter words for them. lol They are killing my garden, I plant in the ground and use raised beds, I am growing squash, corn, 5 kinds of tomatoes, radishes, egg plants and a lot more, But i am having a problem with these crawfish, they putting holes in everything, some morinings they will take my seedlings down the hole or pile dirt on them.

Please if anyone can tell what to do about this problem, i have trued moth balls down the holes and nothing has worked yet,,,,, Please God send me a couple hundred Coonass's lol

Man I wish I had that problem. I fish often and the bass just go crazy over them. I actually go out and "buy" them from time to time!!

I'm not familiar with anything land-based called a crawfish that could be bothering a garden. What sort of pest do you mean?

Unless you're planting in an actual river, but that just raises more questions than it answers.

I am loading the photo's up now, I know it sounds crazy, but I found out that there must be a water table 2'ft down. I have them in the front yard, back yard, everywhere. there is a little ditch next to my garden that stays dry, and when it rains the kids take butterflies nets and catch them all day long most are 3/4" or so.

I know a couple of people that have them in their yard. One of them dug a trench like 4ft deep and filled it with gravel to try to dry out the ground. Kind of like a massive french drain for the yard.

Maybe you just have crabs!! Ah hah but seriously i have sand crabs in my garden but those f***ers know better than to try n make off with anything from my garden! Maybe put your peps in clay or ceramic pots!

M80's ?

Wow that's a tough one! That like a brigade of little armoured tanks roaming around looking for blood out of your garden. I doubt spraying anything like neem or hot pepper wax would do anything to them.

Only thing that comes to mind is traps - they look like two halves of a cone that go together and I would fill it up with stinky fish bait with my grandfather when I was real young trying to get minnows to use in the river. One time we tried a different spot and we caught no minnows - only ~10 lbs of crayfish. So we used those instead and caught a heap of smallmouths.

I'm just speculating here, but maybe traps like that loaded with something stinky like cheese or tuna fish would lure them into the traps on land, instead of your plants. Unless you have a rare infestation of vegetarian or vegan crayfish, I'd think they would like to eat fish more than eggplant and peppers.

Gotta say, that is the strangest infestation I've heard about.

Best of luck!

Dude In my part of the world they dont do that. The ones where I'm from live exclusively under water and look like mini lobsters.
crawdad6.jpg

You must have a different kind than what I am used to. We got to get a picture of this! Im totally mind blown right now. Craw dads on land WTH?!?!?!?

Back