Help, problems with stem base on Carolina Reapers

I've noticed that a handful of my Carolina Reaper seedlings have this weak deteriorated stem base.  Luckily its not on all my seedlings and I have more seedlings that I will use.  However, I'm still concerned.  Any ideas on what may be causing this?  I did have fans blowing on the seedlings in my grow tent, perhaps it was too much wind?  The seedlings themselves look great, you would never know there was a problem until to you look closely at the stem base.  Below are some pictures.  I'm assuming these seedlings are toast, any reason why I should believe they are not?  Anything I can do to correct the problem, like put more soil around the stem?  All thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated, thanks! 

BB

Attachments

• DSC01993.JPG
    DSC01993.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC01994.JPG
    DSC01994.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 53
That weakening of the stem is classic damping off. Damping off is a fungus of the soil, most often caused by keeping it too wet. It may be too late for the plants that are that bad. However, if you repot them with fresh soil an stake them, they might make it. You will want to get good airflow on the plants to help keep the surface dry. Most likely your other plants are being affected, but it's just not as noticeable yet. The other thing you should do is use diluted hydrogen peroxide, both for a few waterings and to mist the surface of the soil. 1 cup to 1 gallon of water. 

It looks like very advanced damping off. But, on the bright side, it looks like your plants are growing out of it. I've seen it happen before. The stem will just callus and develop bark over the area. Keep doing what you're doing. The plants seem healthy otherwise. 
     Also, wouldn't recommend giving in to the temptation to bury the stems deeper. They look like they're past the point of being able to grow adventitious roots. And since fungus is likely already present, crown rot will likely ensue.

geeme said:
That weakening of the stem is classic damping off. Damping off is a fungus of the soil, most often caused by keeping it too wet. It may be too late for the plants that are that bad. However, if you repot them with fresh soil an stake them, they might make it. You will want to get good airflow on the plants to help keep the surface dry. Most likely your other plants are being affected, but it's just not as noticeable yet. The other thing you should do is use diluted hydrogen peroxide, both for a few waterings and to mist the surface of the soil. 1 cup to 1 gallon of water. 

dash 2 said:
     It looks like very advanced damping off. But, on the bright side, it looks like your plants are growing out of it. I've seen it happen before. The stem will just callus and develop bark over the area. Keep doing what you're doing. The plants seem healthy otherwise. 
     Also, wouldn't recommend giving in to the temptation to bury the stems deeper. They look like they're past the point of being able to grow adventitious roots. And since fungus is likely already present, crown rot will likely ensue.

Thanks for the replies guys, I learn something new all the time.  I'm kind of surprised that this has happened, I've definitely been letting the soil dry out quite a bit in between waterings, and there is pretty good airflow from the fans.  However, the humidity does get high in the grow tent, I'm assuming this is a contributing factor?

BurninBob said:
Thanks for the replies guys, I learn something new all the time.  I'm kind of surprised that this has happened, I've definitely been letting the soil dry out quite a bit in between waterings, and there is pretty good airflow from the fans.  However, the humidity does get high in the grow tent, I'm assuming this is a contributing factor?
Yes, the humidity can be a contributing factor. You might want to keep the grow tent open a bit. Glad to hear you have a good approach with the watering and airflow. I hope your plants pull through!

The key to the fan when trying to prevent damping off is to reduce humidity at the soil's surface , so it can dry quickly - so the fungus can't get a foothold. One slip-up, and it can set up shop in a hurry (as you've seen). You're doing all the right things, sometimes it just happens to the best of us.
     Also, use H2O2, like Geeme suggested. You take care of killing the fungus and continue to foster an environment unfriendly to damping off, and let your plants concentrate on putting up some armor (bark tissue). Plants will be golden!

geeme said:
Yes, the humidity can be a contributing factor. You might want to keep the grow tent open a bit. Glad to hear you have a good approach with the watering and airflow. I hope your plants pull through!

Yes I think the combination of the light being very close to the plants (and thus keeping the temp around 90 degrees) and not having enough ventilation is part of the problem.  I've been unzipping the side flaps a bit just too help cool down the tent, but I think I will unzip it even more.  I also raised the light a bit just now.  I hope these plants pull through, they look incredibly healthy otherwise.....Luckily I've already potted up some and they don't seem be affected.  But I was hoping to pot up a few more and also be able to give some away to friends.  Hopefully I still can.....Definitely seems to be affecting the Carolina Reapers the most, my moruga scorpions seem ok, as do my Thai Sun, Cumari, Odham Indian, and Birds Eye.  I did just notice that one of Tepin plants looks like it is having the same problem......

dash 2 said:
     The key to the fan when trying to prevent damping off is to reduce humidity at the soil's surface , so it can dry quickly - so the fungus can't get a foothold. One slip-up, and it can set up shop in a hurry (as you've seen). You're doing all the right things, sometimes it just happens to the best of us.
     Also, use H2O2, like Geeme suggested. You take care of killing the fungus and continue to foster an environment unfriendly to damping off, and let your plants concentrate on putting up some armor (bark tissue). Plants will be golden!

Ok will definitely do the H202, but I'm going to need to wait another day or two as I just watered them yesterday morning.  I have some 3% H202 on hand.  Use 1 cup of that to 1 gallon right?

I sure hope I can get these plants to pull through, its so shocking because they look so healthy otherwise, below are some pics.  There are a handful that look a little funky as I've topped two and done some extreme pruning on a few as an experiment. 
PexPeppers said:
you could theoretically cut that off and re-root it via a clone method.

Ah yes, there is always the Nuclear Option! You wouldn't happen to have a stepwise procedure handy would you? I actually topped a Thai Dragon and Poblano that I bought at a local garden center and tried rooting the tops using Rootech cloning gel. The Thai Dragon top looks like it is going to pull through, its had its share of good days and bad days, but I think its going to pull through. I'm pretty sure the Poblano top is toast, but I do still have it in a small pot. So any tips/advice would be appreciated. I put both tops in the sun after using the cloning gel and putting them in small pots. I think this was a mistake, is it better to keep them in the shade at first?

Attachments

• DSC01995.JPG
    DSC01995.JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC01996.JPG
    DSC01996.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01997.JPG
    DSC01997.JPG
    367.4 KB · Views: 45
They can be saved, as stated above. I had the same issue with one or two of my chinense varieties as well bc of the wide leaf growth ( it covered the solo cups and blocks all air flow ). Firstly, I cut some slits in the cups to allow air in. Secondly, I put them in wider brimmed containers - VERY CAREFULLY! Then you need to stake them so they are solid as well.

Here's the progress of one of mine that had the damping issue...
3022e4o.jpg

2rqg65g.jpg

4ranet.jpg

2qjg414.jpg

...after a point , the stem will harden and regain strength... It's just the process of babying it is all. The stakes IMO should always remain in place though just for insurance

BurninBob said:

Ok will definitely do the H202, but I'm going to need to wait another day or two as I just watered them yesterday morning.  I have some 3% H202 on hand.  Use 1 cup of that to 1 gallon right?

I sure hope I can get these plants to pull through, its so shocking because they look so healthy otherwise, below are some pics.  There are a handful that look a little funky as I've topped two and done some extreme pruning on a few as an experiment. 

Ah yes, there is always the Nuclear Option! You wouldn't happen to have a stepwise procedure handy would you? I actually topped a Thai Dragon and Poblano that I bought at a local garden center and tried rooting the tops using Rootech cloning gel. The Thai Dragon top looks like it is going to pull through, its had its share of good days and bad days, but I think its going to pull through. I'm pretty sure the Poblano top is toast, but I do still have it in a small pot. So any tips/advice would be appreciated. I put both tops in the sun after using the cloning gel and putting them in small pots. I think this was a mistake, is it better to keep them in the shade at first?

yeah grab one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/OxyClone-20-Site-Cloning-System-clone-cloner-hydroponics-aeroponics-roots-/200984842674?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item2ecba151b2

BurninBob said:

Yes I think the combination of the light being very close to the plants (and thus keeping the temp around 90 degrees) and not having enough ventilation is part of the problem.  I've been unzipping the side flaps a bit just too help cool down the tent, but I think I will unzip it even more.  I also raised the light a bit just now.  I hope these plants pull through, they look incredibly healthy otherwise.....Luckily I've already potted up some and they don't seem be affected.  But I was hoping to pot up a few more and also be able to give some away to friends.  Hopefully I still can.....Definitely seems to be affecting the Carolina Reapers the most, my moruga scorpions seem ok, as do my Thai Sun, Cumari, Odham Indian, and Birds Eye.  I did just notice that one of Tepin plants looks like it is having the same problem......

This may already have been adequately addressed (unzipping the door) but an outtake/intake fan set up would address heat/humidity concerns in a tent, as long as there is adequate free air exchange in the room.

Back