• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help to identify a gifted chilli of the 'wild' type

Hi.

I was given the below chillis from a friend the other day. They are quite rubbery in feel. On first bite they taste like a red capsicum of the big red variety ie: Chinese cooking with about zero heat at all on the flesh. All the heat is in the seeds. They are quite mild. Quite nice chopped in a salad actually for a bit of crunch and small heat. I can eat these easy as raw my limit at this stage are birds eyes and rainbows ..... :oops:

They were classed as wild chillis growing up in kilkevin on a block up there ( Aussies will know where it is ) but wild is as wild as someone sows a seed or a bird does a dump or drops seeds. Anyhow, before I grow these kinda cool looking 'bell type' peppers any thoughts on a type?

DSCF2863Large.jpg

DSCF2864Large.jpg

DSCF2866Large.jpg

Thanks mate it seems to be and verified with google search and old old hippy video. The 'UFO' chilli :)

I'll grow this as it looks cool may well make a nice mild powder for sprinkling on top of soups etc. Nice fruity taste. Be interesting all ground up.

I agree about the bishops crown. I must edjamacate you on the "heat in the seeds" thing though bro. The seeds actually hold no heat, it's the placenta or membrane with all the goodness. This gets transferred to the seeds through contact with the placenta.
Btw i have never heard of kilkevin, kilkenny yes but not kilkevin! :)

Actually seeds do have some heat but it is mostly the membrane.
Try using the Bishop's crown for stuffing, especially the ones that stand up on their own

not wild at all its C.Baccatum: bishops hat...PI 497974 it also has many other names; Balloon, Pimenta Cambuci, Campane, Peri Peri, Ubatuba Cambuci, Aji Flor, Orchid, Christmas Bell and Bishops Crown

post1591259122496.jpg

Looks like a bishop to me not the greatest shaped bishops but has most of the characteristics that you described of a bishops.

Back