• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help! Unusual Wilting Problem!

OK here's the deal...

I ordered 7 hot pepper plants and 5 tomato plants from Cross Country Nurseries and they arrived the week before last in great condition. Because I knew that there was a cold snap coming, I decided to plant my pepper plants into pots and wait a couple of weeks before planting them in the ground. One night last week it got so cold that my plants were wilted and shocked the next morning. I knew it was going to be just as cold the next two nights, so I brought them inside at night and returned them outside during the day, just for the two nights. The plants recovered just fine and had no more problems at this point. However, as soon as it started heating up outside my plants started wilting during the daytime - BAD! I moved them to a shady area and notice that they do better, but at this point, a week later, they are still drooping and wilting during the afternoon heat. As soon as it starts cooling off in the evening, they bounce right back and look great. They continue to grow, even.

Keep in mind - All of these pepper plants are hot pepper plants, but they are all different kinds. They are ALL doing this except for the chiltepin plant, which was wilting but now seems to be recovering greatly! The White Habanero is doing the worst, but still growing and looks great at night.

Also Keep in mind - I planted some of these plants in plastic pots and some in clay pots. I also used 3 different types of potting soil - some are in ACE brand potting soil, some in MIRACLE GRO potting soil, and some in MIRACLE GRO ORCHID MIX. No matter which pots I used or which soil, they are all having the same effect.

Also, I have several sweet and decorative pepper plants that I grew from seed and they are not having this problem. But they were never exposed to the cold, either.

Can anyone tell me how this happened? And more importantly - How do I get these plants healthy again and ready to plant in the garden by this weekend?

Please Help!

My first question, do you have drainage holes in the pots you transferred them to?

Second question, how cold has it been getting there? I've waited until the average nightly temperature has been in the 50's.

Third, how much are you watering the plants?

Pictures would be very helpful.

Down here the plants always get droopy during the day 2pm till 7pm then they recover overnight. young plants don't seem to have deep enough roots to tolerate the heat as well...

welcome to the world of hardening off.

i have some plants that now have white sunscolded leaves, some with dried shrivelled sunscalded leaves, some plants that dropped a load of leaves, others just drooped. 1 plant can only go into the sun for 15 minutes then goes into shock. i have tried both all day direct sunlight, earling morning and late day only direct sunlight. but my plants have to come into the house every evening.

i give the sunscalded plants aspirin water and epsom salt mist, in the evening. this week i don't think i will be able to put the plants outside due to rainy, cool temperatures.

Agree w/BC... I had a few plants do the same thing earlier this year. Harding off is a process that takes time and can't be rushed. Some plants just take more time to adjust to the heat and full sun than others.
What works for me.... Any plants that wilted in full sun were placed in a shady area for most of the day. I then introduced to sun/heat slowly over a couple weeks and only brought inside again if the temp was below 50. All plants are now in full sun most of the day and Show no signs of wilting.

Back