• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Help with a Dumb Question

First I want to apologize if this has been covered somewhere else, but I'm at a loss and need some answers.

As many of you may know, I have been running my dehydrator almost non stop since this season has been in full swing. My plans are to gather a minimum of 16 ounces of powder from many of my pepper varieties to be used in making my own chili powder as well as other blends. So far I have close to 16oz of Cayenne powder and Serrano Powder.

Here's my question:
Can these powders go bad even if they are kept in an air tight jar, away from heat and light?

The reason I'm asking is because while I was searching the net for a company that sells spice shaker bottles, I stumbled upon a site that said that certain spices can go rancid if not refrigerated. They were claiming that certain spices containing oil will turn bad if not refrigerated. Is this something I should be concerned about with my pepper powders, especially since there isn't any preservatives added?

I sure would hate to see all of my work (drying, grinding and not to mention all of my pods) go to waste.

I've never had chile powders go bad but they will lose some of their color and flavor over time, especially if exposed to air and/or light.

I just used some habanero powder this morning that is over 5 yrs old and kept in a dark cabinet.

Plenty tasty and not rancid.

Thanks guys, that is a huge relief and kind of what I was thinking. It is good to know that I was on the right track though. BTW, I did mention that this was a dumb question...:lol: I guess I was having a dumb moment (it happens sometimes). :P

I have some McCormick cans from about 40+ years ago, and while they have lost pungency, the contents are still pretty good because of being cool and dark. Now I don't recommend that, but just goes to say that if properly dried and then kept cool, dry, and in the dark...they should last for years. Exceptions seems to be garic, onion and the like.

Yeah, as said they are more likely to lose color and aroma before actually going bad, given they are stored dark and dry. I have some spices from 20 yrs ago and tried them to see if they are still good and although they have lost some aroma, they are still not bad. As Quad said, not recommended though! :)

my spices don't last that long...not because they spoil, because I use them...

Yeah, same here. Those were "lost" for ages in my grandmas cellar and when I discovered them, I decided to put them to the test.

Ya, these were from my gramma..she was gonna toss 'em and heck, they are collectors items now. I have pics, but can't find atm.

qs

I keep my homeade rubs for bbqing in either the old school tupperware containers with the push top lids, or lock tights, which is a plastic container that the lid latches down on the side. I have never had any go rancid, some companies just wanna put the fear of god into people I swear.

Ya, going to just second what everyone else has said. Dried peppers usually don't go bad and powdered ones even more rarely go bad. I just keep mine out of light in a cobert in plastic bags.

Back