• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help with a grow room

I am looking at setting a up a grow room for the winter. What equipment will I need as in light and heat removal?

Im thinking of using a plastic tube frame and insulation sheets for the frsme.

Thanks

Cheap and easy panda film to wrap your frame in.
What size are you looking at?
That would determine what size light to get.
If you are talking about heat removal a small fan would evacuate heat from t-5 set ups and such.
If you are talking about hid then you will need an inline fan build to withstand static pressure from the ducting.

I am thinking around 6-8' long 4' deep and 7' high. Lights would have to be the most economical to run. I want to keep the build and running a budget (I have a wife you know :crazy:)

The 400w mh light i have is rated to cover a 8x8 area and it has my bhuts blooming and peppers are popping out all over the Place. Hydrofarm makes a nice light with balast built in and they have a fan you can get with it for like 20$ extra

I was thinking of this same thing, but I figured indoor grow room in Maine, I can lower my heating bill if I divert the heat directly into the living quarters of the house, living room is right above the grow area, next to my office.

Or it will just heat my basement better, so no need for small space heater anymore. should save me on buying heating oil, and just pull heat off the lamp.

How many plants are you considering on growing?
Are the plants already full grown outside or are you starting from seed inside?
How much space are allocating?
Are you growing in pots or some type of hydro setup?

I am thinking around 6-8' long 4' deep and 7' high. Lights would have to be the most economical to run. I want to keep the build and running a budget (I have a wife you know :crazy:)

"Budget"......that's what I was told by my honey, years later I'm still at it. This hobby is a year round addiction, there's no end to it. And I'm Lov'in it!... But, since your open to some advice here's what I would suggest: why not start out with some 4ft fluorescents, either T8's for value or the more intense T5's. Both work well with early indoor growth, a fan(s) is a must, (exhaust) for multiple lights and (direct) for air circulation. Your framing dimensions should provide you with space for numerous plants. Should you choose to Double-deck your framing why not use 2x4's and 3/4 plywood for strength and durability?

How many plants are you considering on growing?
Are the plants already full grown outside or are you starting from seed inside?
How much space are allocating?
Are you growing in pots or some type of hydro setup?

The plants are fully grown though not producing much pods yet as I started late. I don't know how many plants to groww in there yet and im allowing the the space allocated above give or take a bit here and there. My planst are in pots and buckets.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Please keep them coming It is all very interesting and great to see peoples opinions.

good topic.
I am in the same boat with the starting late. on top of other issues that is. lol.
Hoping that taking them inside when the weather turns will let them make some fruit.

I think the T5s would work fine and are not that expensive. Even though the initial cost would be about $160, a 90 watt UFO tri color LED unit will last about 8000 to 10000 hours of use (about 10 years), costs about $3.50 to run each month and is said to have the same light quality (not lumens) as a 400 watt MH. It also produces hardly any heat at all and can be placed very close to the plants without burn.

I would cut the space down to 4x4x7 and grow 2 plants to start off with. This will allow you to go with a single 400-600 watt HPS ballast and bulb. Then add in a cheap vent fan to pull the hot air out of the grow area. Since the plants are already grown you don't need MH. T5-'s and UFO lights would work, but if you want to produce big fruit and a LOTS of them nothing is going to beat HID period. Plus a single bulb and ballast will take up less space and cost less up front (easier to get the old lady to buy in since you only have to put out $150 or so). You may pay a little more a month on electricity (I paid an extra $22 a month to run a 400 HPS for 8 hours a day), but again it's so minimal the old lady won't even notice. If you get them in a mix with at least 50% coir and on a good fertilizing schedule you will get 2 huge plants that should produce 200-300 grams of fruit per week. At my peek I had my 2 TS scorpions producing 300+ grams of fruit every week for almost 3 months straight using that exact same setup.

If you where not so far away I could set you up with the mylar, ballast, bulb, cool tube hood and fan for $200. Then all you would have to do is build the frame.

What T5's is recommended. Is there a good one online or is it something you can put together from home depot or something?

Thanks

It's a shame it's a long drive to flint from traverse I have a 4 bulb t5 in the box i used for 2 weeks I'm letting go for 100$

Back