• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Help with Bug ID

Something has started eating holes in my plants big time!  The wife and I have looked and looked and don't really find anything but spiders and 2 of these strange critters.  I have googled to no avail.  I took a macro pic of a live bug inside a plastic bag and am posting it hoping it is a good enough pic for someone to ID.  
I found 2 of these on the stem of the same plant and they were covered with what looked like confectioners sugar.  The white stuff was along the stem for about 2".

Any ideas.  If the pic isn't good enough I can try to euthanize (kill) the bug and maybe get a clearer pic.

Bug.jpg

Whitefly. Absolutely whiteflies.  Rub the white off, and you'll see what look like little black seeds underneath.
Get these taken care of, ASAP.  They're nasty to deal with.  You don't want to let an infestation take hold.

solid7 said:
Whitefly. Absolutely whiteflies.  Rub the white off, and you'll see what look like little black seeds underneath.
Get these taken care of, ASAP.  They're nasty to deal with.  You don't want to let an infestation take hold.

Aren't these the same bug..? or am I going blind..?

Attachments

• whiteflyoraphid.jpg
    whiteflyoraphid.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 84
Tybo said:
I found 2 of these on the stem of the same plant and they were covered with what looked like confectioners sugar.  The white stuff was along the stem for about 2".

That's the dead giveaway.  Aphids don't make powder.  Maybe there's aphids in there, too.  But where there's powder, there's whitefly.
If somebody shows me a bad picture, and those word clues, I'll go with my answer. ;)

The leafhopper could be, but what's the actual scale on this thing?
Better pic?
Pic of the powder left behind on the plant?

@Tybo: check that "white stuff" closer, sometime there is a nymph too (or more), at first look is only that white thing, but covered with can be a nymph. If it is and you approach too much or even touch it, will jump. Later, as an adult, will fly. Check any tree or plant around, on the branches and under the leaves.

http://www.kvh.org.n.../document/91532
The nymph picture on this site looks almost identical to what I have.  Also if you scroll down it has a pic of the powdery material that I found.  I think this may be the culprit.  I'll try to get a pic posted soon.

The whiteflies pictures don't look like the critter I have.

Edited to add comment about the pic with the powder.  

rghm1u20 said:
@Tybo: check that "white stuff" closer, sometime there is a nymph too (or more), at first look is only that white thing, but covered with can be a nymph. If it is and you approach too much or even touch it, will jump. Later, as an adult, will fly. Check any tree or plant around, on the branches and under the leaves.

I think this is a nymph.  It did jump.  The bug measures 3/16" in length.  Here is an updated pic.
Bug.jpg

Yep, it's most likely one of those leaf hoppers.  Never seen one that makes powder, but it looks like that's their MO.

Back