• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help with diagnosing leaf problem

I would like to thank anyone in advance for contributing information towards my issue.  I am growing Thai chilis (and others) in deep water culture hydroponics using General Hydroponics recommended levels for nutrients.  I have pH and TDS monitored using meters and all are within ranges.  Other pepper plants are not exhibiting this issue.  This is the second time I have seen this problem on the underside of the Thai chili leaves.  The first time I saw it, I removed all plants from my grow room assuming I had an aphid problem and started over.  I have now seen this issue come up again on the same type of pepper plants.  I do not see the other tell-tale signs of aphids that I have seen on other plants infested with the buggers.  I am suspecting a nutrient issue or some other pest that I have not experienced before.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• pepper_problem.jpg
    pepper_problem.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 102
It's called edema. Its caused by overwatering in soil but in the case of hydroponics maybe could be due to poor air circulation or perhaps your humidity is too high?

Thank you for the quick reply Smokin' Hot.  I do have a small fan that circulates air for these plants although I do know the humidity is probably higher in the environment as a whole but not to the point that it seems to have any affect on other peppers or the herbs that are also growing.  Would you say it is a variety specific issue where it requires very low humidity?  I have also attached a pic of the setup.  Thank you.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 95
aviatius said:
Thank you for the quick reply Smokin' Hot.  I do have a small fan that circulates air for these plants although I do know the humidity is probably higher in the environment as a whole but not to the point that it seems to have any affect on other peppers or the herbs that are also growing.  Would you say it is a variety specific issue where it requires very low humidity?  I have also attached a pic of the setup.  Thank you.
Yea that fan is too small for proper air circulation. It is possible that the thai plant you have might be more sensitive than the others. Very possible actually. Get a nice sized oscillating fan and that should help. And maybe lower the humidity a tad. Keep in mind that the affected Leafs will not get better though. What's done is done. Watch the new growth.

Back