• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help with NuMex Joe Parker - Pod Rot? (Pic)

I'm having trouble with my NuMex Joe Parker. The plant looks fine, and so do the newer pods. However, when they reach about 3-4 inches in length, the bottom third quickly develops brown, mushy spots. It happens fast, within a few days. I've only grown habaneros and jalapenos before and haven't experienced in similar pod issues. Is this some type of rot or fungus? Any ideas on how to treat? The pods are not getting wet. While I live in the Pacific Northwest, it's been mostly warm and dry lately. This plant is full of new pods - I'd hate to see them all go quickly bad. Discouraging! Thanks for any thoughts!

7741059990_0bab72b36c.jpg

Here's an example. This pod has a curve toward the bottom, but they are happening to the perfectly straight ones as well.

-hottoddy

If the portion with the rotting was (always) facing upward then it's probably sun scald. Otherwise probably blossom end rot from insufficient calcium delivery, usually a fluctuation in water level. Are you watering them too little or too much? Are they in pots or the ground and if pots, what's the soil like?

Interesting. It's in a ~3 gallon pot with a mix of miracle grow potting soil and manure soil. The pot is probably a bit small for this particular plant, as it dries out quickly. I water in some tomato (10-10-10ish) fertilizer every few weeks, and water about every other day. The NuMex also wilts the most on very hot days. It could be sun scald too, as the blemishes are on the outer (visable) portions of the pepper. It's in a very sunny place but could be moved. Should i try more shade and calcium?

Find any caterpillars and brown stuff inside? It doesn't look like blossom end rot or anthracnose. Perhaps it's sun scald.

No caterpillars found. The inside area of the "scalded" pepper turns blackish, so even little spots make the pepper unusable. I have added some calcium fertilizer and moved the NuMex to an area that gets shade a bit earlier in the afternoon. It's also getting watered daily as it seems to be a thirsty plant. I also removed the 3-4 remaining peppers with spots. Hopefully the 10 or so young ones don't develop the problem. I can always pick them earlier, but I'm growing these peppers for their size! These are supposed to be my roasting and chile relleno peppers.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Back