• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense help with orange habanero ID

I purchased seeds about 15 years ago from A.E Mackenzie Seed Company, Super Chili Habanero, it says on the package and have been growing them that long. The seeds are orange habanero and its all I have known until this year when habaneros have become plentiful in my area.

Since, I have purchased locally supplied habaneros from my grocery store and purchased a habanero plant from Homedepot.

Pictured here are my McKenzie seed habanero(right on the seed package) and home depot habs(left 4 of them); my Mc seed plant has now completed its full second year producing, the HD plant is new this year. The first thing I noticed is the Mc pods are oranger, while the HD seeds are a lighter hue of orange. The Mc pods are dimpled(and have been over the 15 years), the new HD pods have no dimples. The Mc plant leaves are small, while the HD leaves are rather large. The HD pods taste like habanero, like the Mc pods but the Mc pods explode in my mouth with a real citrus flavour. The HD pods are hot but only a 1/3 the heat of the Mc pods. The HD pods match the heat of Homedepots Caribbean Red Hots that I purchase from Home Depot, maybe its my Italian blood but I would pop an HD hab in my mouth before I would pop one of my goatsweed. The HD pods are hot, my goatsweed make me sweat and pant for breath and the Mc pods make me sit in meditation with tears dripping out of my eyes hoping the pain will go away.

From the picture, can anyone narrow down the type of habs? (oh ya, the mexican grocery habs are close in heat to my original Mc pods for heat but not flavour).

HPIM1877.jpg

...and don't be fooled by my old cameras poor colour qualities, it makes the colours look darker and redder but they are actually orange.

all these years I have had, in my mind what an orange habanero should taste like and its heat value, this I have based my starting point for all other peppers. Some have used ceyenne but after realizing that there where hotter pepper, just not in my reach, I used what I had. So, when members describe a habanero flavour and heat, I could relate. Then, I get habs that are not as hot as I what I perceive to be a habanero and I question how hot is a bhut, fatalii or scorpian. But, if i could identify my hab type then I could benchmark the flavour and heat value. I just had a gold bullet hab that is described as being hotter than a regular habanero, it didn't measure up to my original habs but yes hotter than the homedepot varient, I have another pod I am going to try tomorrow and focus on the flavour but the gold bullet is such a small pepper that it is challenging to compare. I have now had imported scotch bonnet that are not as hot as my origin orange habanero and lack that "bam" citrus flavour.

I have been following your website pepperlover as there are some varieties that I may wish to add to my collection.

Regards,

Back