• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Help with pepper ID'ing

Hi All,

My friend gave me what was claimed to be a Carolina Reaper seedling he bought at a local nursery, but I knew it wasn't.  The leaves did not look at all like a capsicum chinense plant.  I planted it since I had an extra spot.  However, I have no idea what they are.  The peppers are jalapeno level heat, and nothing remarkable.  They ripen from green to orange to red.  Obviously they look nothing like scorpion type peppers.  Anyone know what these are?  Link is to some pics:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/slamto/9101K9

Much appreciated.

--
S.Lam

Interesting looking annuum. Could be a cross Jalapeno x cherry bell or cherry hot bell. That's based on appearance. would have to taste to get a better opinion.

Does look like C. chinense leaves to me.

Can you take a picture of the calyx?  Annuums have a massive calyx.  That does not appear to have a large calyx, but there isn't a good shot of it.

Honestly looks kind of like a Bhut cross to me, the bell looking bottom of the pod is really weird but the waves of the leaves are a good indicator of a Bhut or a Naga.

It's definitely not a reaper, but it's interesting!

I've included a pic of the calyx on the flower.  Do I need to take one on the matured fruit?

The leaves seemed more slender than any of the C. chinense I had so I had just assumed it wasn't one.  I could be COMPLETELY wrong, which is probably the case. 

I initially thought it looked like a Naga variety, but there really is no remarkable heat from these things.

I am gonna go along with what others have stated and say a Turkish pepper possibly the Aleppo as the Urfa Biber should be much bigger.  The Urfa caget get up to 8" long, I had some get really big last season when I grew. 

These peppers look more compact to me. 

I guess with 2 votes for them being Aleppos, and with all the digging around the web about them, I guess they're Aleppo peppers.

They're so mild, I guess I'll be using these to make pepper poppers.

Thanks everyone!

Back