• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Help with peppers with brown and faded leaves :( [pics]

I posted this in the wrong section, but you can go here to view it, or have a mod delete it! My apologies!

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38561-help-with-peppers-with-brown-and-faded-leaves-pics/page__gopid__807895#entry807895

My dad suspects they have been watered too much, but I just wanted to get a second confirmation. I tried to take as good of pictures as I could:

2cn9u2c.jpg

2s5z3p2.jpg

168c50y.jpg

20iw2om.jpg

Hum, I don't have a lot of experience, but they look like mine when I water them too much. Your father must be right.

But let's get the advices of the guru.

Thanks for the info guys! I'm glad dad was right originally, so we'll just cut back a little and should plump right back up, thank!

Had a few of mine do this same thing. I was watering every 3 days. I noticed the browning on a few plants and havent watered since, been 5 days since I watered them. Waiting on them to start wilting a bit

Had a few of mine do this same thing. I was watering every 3 days. I noticed the browning on a few plants and havent watered since, been 5 days since I watered them. Waiting on them to start wilting a bit

Same thing happening here, but when do you actually start watering again ? Is this when leaves are wilting ?
I fear the whole plant may wilt. Come to think of it, this could have lead me to overwatering in the first place.

I've had a bit of that this year, I thought it was sunburn. Have to rethink my watering plan. Does anyone know if they recover from the whiteness?

Same thing happening here, but when do you actually start watering again ? Is this when leaves are wilting ?
I fear the whole plant may wilt. Come to think of it, this could have lead me to overwatering in the first place.
I usually wait till I see a little wilting just before dark when it's cool.
Some wilting in the hot sun is normal for my plants.
With cooler temps before summer here, that's about once a week for me in ground. About 4 or 5 days for my pots.

You will see the leaves wilting, you cant miss it. I checked mine again last night and the top of the soil is bone dry but havent seen any signs of wilting yet. My guess is that the bottom of the pot is nice and wet where the roots are. I was top watering so as soon as the soil got dry I would water. Even though the top is dry the bottom was fine.

My guess is that the bottom of the pot is nice and wet where the roots are. I was top watering so as soon as the soil got dry I would water. Even though the top is dry the bottom was fine.

And I must say that's a very good guess indeed! And pot is exactly as you have described.
I will just have to wait for signs of wilting.
Many thanks for the infos.
By the way, will the browning go away once everything is fine?

Pics #1 #4 look like the brown parts are toast. #2 #3 might recover. Don't worry, they will shoot out plenty of new leaves to make up for the damaged ones.

If you have a spare pot and some more of the same soil, set that up next to your seedlings and water it at the same time. You can then stick your finger into the test pot to see how the moisture level is doing without any danger of damaging your babies.

It's been 2 weeks without any drop of water... 14 days not a single drop of water, my plants do not show any signs wiling and growing like mad.
I can only imagine what I have done before, with the watering thing.
On the other hand I kinda feel like riding a car that I forgot to put gas in.
Oh, one or two pots did show some signs of wilting and I did water them but most of the pots live from surplus.

Good to hear.
Over watering was my biggest problem when I started out. I think it's most people's as well.

I managed to do the same thing. At first I thought it was droplet induced sun burn or an infection, so I removed the leaves for the latter assumption despite it likely being opportunistic fungi only. After reducing watering no more have appeared. It's hard to ignore and prune your babies as I well know as a first year grower. But in the end it's for the best with root development and bushiness incentivized for the plant. As well as hotter peppers induced by a combination of heat and well controlled stress.

My Brain Strain was the worst, it went from too much water to not enough. It wilted bad to the point it looked dead. I gave it some water and have it under lights but it lost all of it leaves except for the new ones that are just starting to come up.
I got busy the one night and didnt get a chance to get down to the basement to check on the ones I had growing there. Now I check everynight no matter what the time. Hell it was 1am when I went to bed lastnight but still went down and checked. One "test" that I do now is I will lift a leaf or 2 on the plant if there is no spring or stiffness to the leaf, I will give it some water if it is really bad or I will set it to the side and make sure to water the next day.

My Brain Strain was the worst, it went from too much water to not enough. It wilted bad to the point it looked dead. I gave it some water and have it under lights but it lost all of it leaves except for the new ones that are just starting to come up.

You do realize you got me all freaked out, don't you ?
I'm getting back to overwatering! To hell with gnats!

I'm just kidding, I've checked the bottom seems dry enough, I've just put the water in.

Back