• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help with Plant Edema

Just realized all the new leaves on my Jalapeno plant have severe edema. I've done some reading and read that it's caused when the plant is taking in too much water and cant use it fast enough, resulting in the small bumps under the leaves. My initial reaction is that I am over-watering, but my reading also indicated that under-watering can also cause edema, and typically more severe than over-watering.

About the plant:
- Watering about twice/week as it's pretty hot right now
- I keep the plants shaded during time of day with most intense sunlight/heat
- Plant is in a cedar planter box with a habanero and chocolate bhutlah, both of which are not experiencing Edema
- Only 3 of the most recent leaves have edema, and aside from the edema, the leaves look nice and healthy

Trying to figure out if I should be watering more or less, or if you guys had experience with Edema and know of another cause.

wjFA9X1.jpg

Hey Ikaika.  I'd actually consider that moderate edema and I probably wouldn't be thinking about changing my environmental conditions over it.  Most people are going to see some amount of edema (or intumescences) at times, particularly indoors, and some plants seem to continue to show it no matter what you do.  What I see in your picture isn't going to hurt the plant and if you start changing variables to try to correct it, you might actually de-optimize your grow if it's otherwise doing well.  I've read a fair amount on point and there seems to be widespread uncertainty, even at the professional level, of the specific reasons and treatments for edema, despite it largely focusing around factors influencing the transpiration process.  I find it simply goes away after a while once my plants are established outside.

Good luck with the jalaps!  And BTW - I really liked that picture you posted the other day of your Hawaiian pepper plant.  The plant looked in great shape with cool-looking foliage and immature peppers.

CaneDog said:
Hey Ikaika.  I'd actually consider that moderate edema and I probably wouldn't be thinking about changing my environmental conditions over it.  Most people are going to see some amount of edema (or intumescences) at times, particularly indoors, and some plants seem to continue to show it no matter what you do.  What I see in your picture isn't going to hurt the plant and if you start changing variables to try to correct it, you might actually de-optimize your grow if it's otherwise doing well.  I've read a fair amount on point and there seems to be widespread uncertainty, even at the professional level, of the specific reasons and treatments for edema, despite it largely focusing around factors influencing the transpiration process.  I find it simply goes away after a while once my plants are established outside.

Good luck with the jalaps!  And BTW - I really liked that picture you posted the other day of your Hawaiian pepper plant.  The plant looked in great shape with cool-looking foliage and immature peppers.

Mahalo Cane! That's reassuring. This is why I find this forum so helpful. It's nice to fact check what I read with people who are actively growing peppers. I'll take your advice and just not worry about it for now. And glad you liked the hawaiian chili plant. I'll be sure to post updated pictures when i get some ripe fruit.

Back