• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

help with potted Datil

I have a few Datil planted in 3 gallon pots (1 each) do they like hot full sun? I have heard that they like it hot!
This is one variety that I have never grown.

And

Have any of you tried to over-winter Datil?

I am already planning to bring a few additional varieties indoors over the winter.

Thanks
kat

Datil peppers are cultivated throughout the United States and elsewhere, but the majority are produced in St. Augustine, Florida, where they have been traditionally cultivated for roughly 230 years.
I would say, yes they like full sun! I try to emulate conditions in which they are use too. You can really overwinter any pepper plant you want! Lots of info on this sight about that subject. I'm gonna do the same to a couple of my favs this year!;) Oh, and welcome again!

Thanks Joe, I too try to emulate the natural environment of the plant I am growing. I DID hear that Fatalii did not like full sun tho. Ever heard that?

Hi Katrina. As stated above you can overwinter any variety. There are however a few ways to do it. Some just bring the plant indoors as is and put them under lights. Others trim the plants back to varying degrees and put them under lights. Some even cut them back to the stump and place them in an area that gets little light and stays cool. I actually succeeded in keeping my plants alive in my basement without grow lights but killed them through the transplanting process (I had issues with air pockets and root rot). Anyway, I believe Pepper Ridge Farm is currently growing a Datil from last season. Good luck and glad to see more females joining the forum.

Katrina said:
Thanks Joe, I too try to emulate the natural environment of the plant I am growing. I DID hear that Fatalii did not like full sun tho. Ever heard that?

These are slated for next year. I have not grown them yet. I guess I would just let the plant tell me has it grows. Peppers are so hardy and handle stress well!:cool:

Katrina said:
Have any of you tried to over-winter Datil?
kat

I overwintered the one below. My overwinter success with Datils is less than other peppers - I had 3 last season and successfully overwintered one. They're also fairly long season and take awhile to really start taking off. It also has an interesting shape with a wide canopy at the top that sort of tapers down.

Datil.jpg

I have had mine in a full sun area and like Bob said they take a while but then there are a ton -- I am trying a Red Hybrid this year I hope it does well but its off to a very slow start

Back