Help with roasting...

I have been making dried hot pepper spice for about three years now.

Year one, I never really ever seemed to dehydrate my peppers fully. Made a bulky grind.
Year two, used the dehydrator then pan roasted before grinding...worked really well, except the massive amount of fumes and kind of limited the amount I could do.
Year three, Used the dehydrator and oven roasted (because of quantity), worked well but could not keep up with the volume and had the same massive toxic fume effect (great for the sinuses, not so great for the breathing or the newborn)

Was wondering if anyone uses any kind of roasting system for dried peppers, outside.... has anyone used a grill or invented another system. Anything commercially available ? willing to do it myself, just lack the knowledge. Looking for creative ideas....anything.

A solution could greatly increase my ability to produce more and more lethal varieties.

Psy101

Yes, there are systems for this to attach to grills and smokers. They are coffee roasters on rotisseries.

Example: http://www.etsy.com/listing/9766688/coffee-roaster-drum-for-your-barbecue

But why would you dehydrate first?

I usually roast them on a grill to char the skin, then I peel them and put them into a smoker for about 3-4 hours at 250° using mesquite or another hardwood. After that, I put them into the dehydrator. If you feels there is a need, you can pan toast them outdoors to make sure they are dry. It's all good my friend.

Yes, there are systems for this to attach to grills and smokers. They are coffee roasters on rotisseries.

Example: http://www.etsy.com/listing/9766688/coffee-roaster-drum-for-your-barbecue

But why would you dehydrate first?

Its just what I have always done... might not be the best way.... but for my dried pepper spice, it seems to work. Do you have other suggestions ?...would be happy to cut out a step...would save time.

Well the water content is needed to roast them, the same way you would roast, say, a turkey. What you are doing is equivalent to roasting turkey jerky.

You're not going to get a roasted flavor or char with dehydrated peppers, because they are not technically roasting (cooking) the flesh. I'd roast, then dehydrate. Hope this helps.

Back