• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

HELP!!!

Whatever they are get those plants outah there. you may need to do some after dark recon. a shallow pan with beer bait would be a good start for slugs.

Oh Snap ! Bro' I think that the slugs are worse this spring. They tried the same B.S. with my Caribbean Red Habanero. I made a Slug Pub. They will try to find plants on decks too . The plants will bounce back...

trying to help post pic but can't seem to get it

could be earwigs too man. They made a few of mine look like that too. Put out an old cereal box with some wet newspaper inside of it and an old can of tuna (or just the newspaper will work too) check it in the morning and burn them suckers. I'm going to be doing this tonight. I've looked many nights now and only thing I've found is earwigs crawling all over my plants.

We had the same thing happen last night in the Charlotte area. Heavy slug attacks after a heavy rain. My wife spent a couple hours knocking them off plants and then spraying them with straight vinegar. Drops em like a rock! Those SOBs will even climb up our brick house to the second story for a potted plant.

Thanks Potawie for posting the photos and all the sugestions.
I will be armed with vinegar spray and a few trays of brews tonight.
Sy

ever seen a slug dry up in salt?

you don't want to go overboard adding salt to your soil...the salt shaker to just play with them is cool though...

you don't want to go overboard adding salt to your soil...the salt shaker to just play with them is cool though...
Ditto with your concerns about salt build up in the soil. We used salt in the past but with so many slugs we were spreading a lot of salt.
Vinegar is volatile, dilutes with rain and evaporates in a little sunshine.
Diatomite works as a barrier until it gets wet...DUH!... But rain is when the slugs slither out so the barrier is useless.

Ditto with your concerns about salt build up in the soil. We used salt in the past but with so many slugs we were spreading a lot of salt.
Vinegar is volatile, dilutes with rain and evaporates in a little sunshine.
Diatomite works as a barrier until it gets wet...DUH!... But rain is when the slugs slither out so the barrier is useless.
people use rock salt on their walks and driveways and roads all the time up north I do know to much of it kills things.

the slugs are way outta hand this year in central NC because it has been wetter than the past several springs, but the bonide garden dust w/ copper and sulfur and several beer traps have worked wonders for me

Went out there late last night and ... yep, slugs. killed about a dozen of them bastards.
Found a few more in the brew trays this morning. It will be hot for the next few days, hopefully it will die off.

Back