Here we go. My sauce is actually taking off...

So, this is it! I guess? Or hoping. I even made a new label because everyone "needs" it! Now it's all about figuring out if I just want to small, small market it at first. i.e. Farmer's Markets or go full on small market and try to take on the Government of the USA!!!!! I already have a few people in my area that own cafes that want to buy it from me. I also have about 5 more recipes........ I guess it's time to expand and look for approved kitchens to use!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!
IMG_1557.jpg

And thanks to tons of posts on this forum, I'm so full of info I may have figured out a way to actually do it!

Anymore advise would be helpful! I actually need to send some to most of you to try. Or not!!!!!! Might not be HOT enough......:doh:

amast13,

we get our liability insurance through a local insurance agent that deals with business insurance. We have food business liability, construction bond, construction liability, personal vehicle, business vehicle, and then add health insurance............I won't tell you what we spend in a year on insurance!

Anyway, the company is Liberty Northwest, a division of First National Insurance Co of America. Contact a few local business insurance agents, and definitely compare prices!

Small steps. I've seen many stories where bakers started making cookies and brownies at home and broke the rules. But yeah it's usually only jellies and baked goods since they are low risk foods. That's why some states allow it for selling at farmers markets. Sauce gets into the area of being dangerous if packed wrong. Good advice from SL. Insurance is needed where you are? I know it is highly recommended, and you'll need it if you want to be distributed (dist. will request it), but I've never heard it is needed to start up.

Interesting comment; I thought if the jars are sterilized, the ph was below 4, and it's water boiled for 20 minutes (in the jar) prior to lidding it's no problem.
I'd be interested to hear your input. Cheers.

Interesting comment; I thought if the jars are sterilized, the ph was below 4, and it's water boiled for 20 minutes (in the jar) prior to lidding it's no problem.
I'd be interested to hear your input. Cheers.

I'm confused by this comment.

There are different types of jars/bottles and closures(lids). The most common are the woozy (typical hot sauce bottle shape with a plastic lid and foam liner) and typical canning jars with rubber gasketed metal lid and metal ring.

When processing with woozy bottles, the process authority for WA state says....
sauce pH below 4.0 (after P.A.'s review of ingredients in the sauce)
heat sauce to 190F
fill sterilized woozy bottles with heated sauce
cap and invert for 3 minutes to allow the heated sauce to sterilize the inside of the cap

for using home canning jars-
make sauce and if below pH 3.5, place cooked/heated sauce in sterilized jars, lid and ring, boiling water bath for 20 minutes (or pressure can...even better)

I've not heard of boiling open jars/bottles and then capping them. Perhaps someone could shed some more light on that process???

I'm confused by this comment.

There are different types of jars/bottles and closures(lids). The most common are the woozy (typical hot sauce bottle shape with a plastic lid and foam liner) and typical canning jars with rubber gasketed metal lid and metal ring.

When processing with woozy bottles, the process authority for WA state says....
sauce pH below 4.0 (after P.A.'s review of ingredients in the sauce)
heat sauce to 190F
fill sterilized woozy bottles with heated sauce
cap and invert for 3 minutes to allow the heated sauce to sterilize the inside of the cap

for using home canning jars-
make sauce and if below pH 3.5, place cooked/heated sauce in sterilized jars, lid and ring, boiling water bath for 20 minutes (or pressure can...even better)

I've not heard of boiling open jars/bottles and then capping them. Perhaps someone could shed some more light on that process???

I sterilized the lid and foam liner in boiling water and handled them with sterilized tongs. I put the filled jar in boiling water for 25 minutes and then removed and capped very tightly; I definitely get a vacuum. And the ph is between 3 & 4; that's as close as I can get with ph strips. Oh, and I'm at sea level. Cheers.

So, this is it! I guess? Or hoping. I even made a new label because everyone "needs" it! Now it's all about figuring out if I just want to small, small market it at first. i.e. Farmer's Markets or go full on small market and try to take on the Government of the USA!!!!! I already have a few people in my area that own cafes that want to buy it from me. I also have about 5 more recipes........ I guess it's time to expand and look for approved kitchens to use!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!
IMG_1557.jpg

And thanks to tons of posts on this forum, I'm so full of info I may have figured out a way to actually do it!

Anymore advise would be helpful! I actually need to send some to most of you to try. Or not!!!!!! Might not be HOT enough......:)

You obviously hit a good heat level for your area. I believe I on the other hand went too hot. Then again with my job and kids I haven't had much time to get out and hit the flea markets. Going to just build the stock, sell some here and there to pay for supplies and keep stocking up for spring and then hit the flea markets. If nothing else I will have a metric sh!t ton of sauce I love.

What do you charge for your 5oz bottles?

Back