Hey AJ, about Datil Relish

Is this the recipe you mentioned?

If it is it's verbatim for one I already had from here.

My question is did you use green pods to make the relish? I've never considered picking them green, but did sample a green pod this morning and it still had plenty of bite and flavor.

Also, did you use that much ketchup? Seems like fresh maters would be better.

yes sir, that is it SS...I wouldn't doubt that they are one and the same from the same source...the guy that posted it is no longer around...but he was from that area...

I did use green pods and followed the recipe pretty much to a "T"...I suppose you could use tomatoes, but you would have to add your own spices (like ketchup has) for the taste to come out right...something about the sweetness of this relish is really good...especially on a pile of purple hull peas...and dippin' that fried pork chop in it ain't bad either... ;)

I used green -- and plenty of them -- You can use them in an stage really and use additional superhots as well I used a Fatelli, Jalapeno, Datil that is great on Hot Dogs and recently I was running low on salsa and mixed that in and boy was that good. I dont know about using tomatoes unless you cooked them down but the vinegary-ness of it is great! My thought was to make a sweet-pickle relish with them in it as well a Heaven and Hell relish -- and I have a few Mustard recipes Im going to give a whirl too

sorry boss, I was going to move it but forgot...

Back