co-packer Hey Guys! Need your help. Looking for a Co-packer near LA or Southern CA.

Hi Everybody!

I am looking for a co-packer near LA or in Southern California.
I thought that I could make my hot sauce in a commercial kitchen but I was just told that it needs to be manufactured.

Do you guys know of any? I am looking for one that is reasonable in price and minimum quantity.
I can't afford a place that will ask for like 100 cases or more :) Not yet :)))

Have an awesome day and I am looking forward to a response.

Thank you!
Magatania

hi Magatania-

:welcome:

Unless the rules are different for California, you can make your sauce in a licensed commercial kitchen. Not knowing who told you it had to be made by a co-packer, they may not know your area or may not understand what you want to do.

Lots of people use shared-use commercial kitchens, restaurants afterhours, or other kitchens (think private school, church, community center, Elks/Eagles/Masonic lodges, etc).

For most states, you have to get licensed by the state to make your sauce in one specific location. Once licensed to make your sauce in that kitchen, you have to continue to use that facility or if you change kitchens, you usually need to get re-licensed. It's not that big of a deal to get relicensed...just more $$.

I'd check with a different health authority. For where I live in Washington state, if I want to do retail sales, I get a county license. If I want to wholesale, I get a state license. if I want to wholesale And retail....you guessed it...I gotta have 2 licenses.

Good Luck, keep digging for more information. And if the first person you talk to doesn't seem like they have the right information...talk to someone else.

salsalady

ps- if it does turn out that you must use a co-packer, look up some of the sauce makers who are already in business in CA. I think Global Warming and Surfer7 are CA companies. GL~

Thank you Green Tea - Yes it's me in the picture haha!
I called both places but they have a minimum of 200 cases. It's way too much for me right now.
I am a beginner at this and want to make a smaller batch before I can/want to move to 200 cases - Thanks for your comment!

Wow Salsa Lady!
Love your little smiley face banner - I feel so welcomed by that!!! :))
Thanks for your generous comment.
I called a commercial kitchen in LA today - they did say that I can make it there but since I use Bell peppers, tomatoes and fresh garlic it needs to be approved by the State. So they told me I need a business lincence, a state license and some other deposits. At the end you will stay pay about
$ 2000, 00 - I wander if the co-packer is not more economic?

Thanks to both of you!
Magatania

Hi Magatania,

That still sounds a little expensive for licensing. In Washington state, the business license is $30, the state health permit is $55. I wouldn't think the kitchen would require more than ($200???) for a deposit, but I could be way off on that.

Yes, the state needs to review your recipe, and that should be part of your state health license. If they can't approve of your recipe, they will have you send it to a process authority for review. That could be another $80-$100.

And then, aside from your ingredients, bottles, etc...the only other thing you should have to start with is insurance. Shouldn't be more than $500, and hopefully the insurance company will let you make payments.

Some people say you should form an LLC before actually selling the product. It's a good idea, but not required. And you can also set up your own Limited Liability Corporation with your state by yourself. You do not need a lawyer. When we set up our LLC, I think it cost about $260.

If you were to use a co-packer, you should still need a business permit to sell the sauce (or the LLC), insurance, and probably the process authority review. The only money you would be saving is the state health permit, which the co-packer would have.

Without divulging your secret recipe, would you mind telling a little more about your sauce? Is it a refrigerated salsa, a cooked chunky salsa, a blendered and bottled hot sauce? What type of bottle/jar? There are different requirements for refrigerated products than for shelf stable products.

Just because it has tomatoes, green peppers and garlic, doesn't automatically make it have to be co-packed. If your sauce requires pressure canning, then you will most likely have to go with a co-packer as they are the only ones licensed to process in a pressure canner. But, there again, the process authority would be the one to make that determination.

Hope this helps-
salsalady

Thank you Salsa Lady for again a very insightful comment!!!! Really much appreciated.
Sorry...took a bit of time to response but there was a lot going on in my hot sauce life :)))

Things are really difficult here in the LA area. There are two commercial kitchens that I know of. One in Beverly Hills and one in Pasadena.
The one in Beverly Hills requires a 500 dollar deposit and a minimum of 20 hours a month - for at least 3 months. A bit pricey for beginners.
The one in Pasadena is better only 250 dollar deposit but before you can start you need to get a health permit and a business license that will run you about 700 dollars.

So getting the insurance, the health permits, the business license, the deposit , the insurance etc - you will be easily come close to 2000 dollars before you can even start. I think a co-packer is cheaper to start with.

Maybe I need to find a co-packer in another state. If you know anyone not too far from CA - then please let me know.

My hot sauce is a chunky Moroccan style sauce. I have been a hot sauce addict my whole life and I have been Moroccan my whole life so I thought why not combine it and come up with a product :)))

Any more feedback from you or others is very much appreciated.
Thanks a lot!!!

Back