• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

recipe Hi all! Looking for beginners advice on upscaling a recipe to produce more volume?

Hi Everyone,

I would be grateful for some advice on whether I am approaching this correctly....

I've recently made my first batch of fermented Louisiana Style Hot Sauce in a 1 litre jar which contained:

360g Red Chilli's
79g Tomatoes
50g Onion
5 Gloves Garlic

This turned out pretty well because I followed a recipe to get to grips with the process. Now, if I wanted to make a larger batch of the sauce in a 3 litre jar would I ratio up the ingredients & brine '3x' to produce a similar result? Or would the sauce be considerably hotter due more peppers being included?

Many thanks and kind regards

I can’t answer this question when it comes to fermenting (I always do a dry brine), but with cooking and baking, scaling a recipe by just increasing the ingredients like that (2x,3x, etc.) will not produce the same results. There is a formula to determine how much to increase each particular ingredient, which I don’t remember off the top of my head (and my C.I.A. Handbook is boxed up somewhere). And considering you are scaling a ferment, I would think there would be more to it than even that (for reasons of maintaining ph).

I am sure some of the AMAZING people on here with experience with this will be able to offer proper guidance. Good luck! And…………

WELCOME TO THE BEAT FORUM ON THE INTERNET!

Scaling includes all ingredients including peppers. It will not be hotter it will just be a larger batch. Taste as you scale because as you get larger, differences become more evident. Meaning you might not notice a dash of salt being off in a small batch but when you scale that dash may be salty. But it will be super close.

Welcome to THP!

Form your recipe, i would suggest (3x or whatever) your veg ingredients. Transition garlic to grams not cloves. Make your salt brine in a separate pitcher so the salt solution is the same for all volumes. Pour the pre-mixed brine over the veg, ferment.

Have fun!
SL

Welcome to THP!

Form your recipe, i would suggest (3x or whatever) your veg ingredients. Transition garlic to grams not cloves. Make your salt brine in a separate pitcher so the salt solution is the same for all volumes. Pour the pre-mixed brine over the veg, ferment.

Have fun!
SL
What do you mean by this? Not use the percent by weight method?

Just premix a large volume of brine e.g 2.5% say 3 litres

Many Thanks,

Late reply, but....Yes.
This is drawing from making pickles. Make the pickle salt brine, pack the jars as desired with whole, quartered or sliced, and fill the jar with the brine.

Back