Hi from Chicago!

This already seems like an amazing place to share the love of all things hot. I'm off kedzie and fullerton in logan square and a huge fan of the latin spice in the neighborhood, been talking to our neighborhood taqueria about how they make their sauces. 

Does anybody have any good recommendations for some starter threads about mashes and bottling? Have had a few months research but this place is a treasure trove.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

itcamefromthedirt said:
Does anybody have any good recommendations for some starter threads about mashes and bottling? Have had a few months research but this place is a treasure trove.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

Hot Sauce Making Thread

Fermenting Peppers Thread

Start there.  Read the entire threads.  Treasure trove indeed :)

itcamefromthedirt said:
This already seems like an amazing place to share the love of all things hot. I'm off kedzie and fullerton in logan square and a huge fan of the latin spice in the neighborhood, been talking to our neighborhood taqueria about how they make their sauces.
Moran? Thats my go to. El cid is bleh. Dos amigos isnt too bad. I've only ever gone to el charro after hours so I dont have a strong opinion on that. I've been to Tacos Garcias off armitage too but wasnt impressed. Have you tried that el habanero off fullerton west of kedzie? I used to live in pilsen until I moved up here 6 years ago, I tend to eat a lot of mexican food.

Way before the latest big burrito craze, I remember monster burritos being in Chicago in the early 90's. It didn't have any filler like chipotle's with rice, beans and lettuce, It was straight meat! You guys know of such a place I forgot the name.

Grass Snake said:
Way before the latest big burrito craze, I remember monster burritos being in Chicago in the early 90's. It didn't have any filler like chipotle's with rice, beans and lettuce, It was straight meat! You guys know of such a place I forgot the name.

That sounds like places wrigleyville and lincoln park where the sign in the window proudly proclaimed "Burritos As Big As Your Head!".  Not many of those left these days.  I do like the tacos at Big Star in wicker park - the staff is kind of stuck up but the food is great.  The majority of Chicago's best taco joints are all out in Pilsen, and I agree Moran is top notch.  Don't sleep on L'Patron tacos on Diversey at California, that ribeye onion taco is one of the best in the city.  Be forewarned, it can take a while to get your food.    

Oh man I forgot about L'Patron.  They really do have great stuff there.  Before I moved into this place, I was in a temporary living situation in Humboldt Park. There used to be a place just west of north and kedzie that made great carnitas.  The carnitas burrito was mostly meat, and had avocado in it. I always shared it with my friend, I don't think it has been there in at least 5 years though.  You can't really live on the northside of Chicago and not eat at one of the La Pasaditas... some of the best lengua in this city. I don't want to even start on the Pilsen joints.  I miss living down there so much.  

I think I'm going to start a thread for Chicago spicy food chatter.  Y'all come visit me there.

Rawkstah said:
Moran? Thats my go to. El cid is bleh. Dos amigos isnt too bad. I've only ever gone to el charro after hours so I dont have a strong opinion on that. I've been to Tacos Garcias off armitage too but wasnt impressed. Have you tried that el habanero off fullerton west of kedzie? I used to live in pilsen until I moved up here 6 years ago, I tend to eat a lot of mexican food.

I lovvvvveeeeee el habanero. That's the closest spot to my apartment. Also really like the Puerto Rican place just a little bit further down Fullerton on the same side...but my Spanish is horrible and they're English isn't much better so it's a struggle. El Charro only happens after the bars close, and even then it's nothing too great. L'Patron is absolutely incredible and I make it over there at any opportunity.

Lived in Lincoln Park/Lakeview for a while in college so know that area pretty well for Mexican food...king of which being Taco Burrito Palace #2.
Rawkstah said:
Oh man I forgot about L'Patron.  They really do have great stuff there.  Before I moved into this place, I was in a temporary living situation in Humboldt Park. There used to be a place just west of north and kedzie that made great carnitas.  The carnitas burrito was mostly meat, and had avocado in it. I always shared it with my friend, I don't think it has been there in at least 5 years though.  You can't really live on the northside of Chicago and not eat at one of the La Pasaditas... some of the best lengua in this city. I don't want to even start on the Pilsen joints.  I miss living down there so much.  

I think I'm going to start a thread for Chicago spicy food chatter.  Y'all come visit me there.

I'll be joining you on that thread! If we're straying away from Mexican food...I'll just say that Reggies Rock Club on the southside has my favorite wings in the city. I think Tuesday they're only 35 cents.

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

Back