Hi from Portugal, I have some doubts :D

Hi everyone,

I'm new to growing seeds. I encountered some issues and wanted to ask if you could help me figure this out.

I planted some seeds outdoors (I didn't have permission to plant indoors :/ ) nearly a month ago, as I'm new to this seed world, I ended up planting them too deep. After 2 weeks I extracted the excessive dirt so the seeds could be more closer to the surface and I noticed none was different from the day I planted them. Today after nearly a month, I couldn't see a single sprout, so I decided to dug the seeds up in order to test them (water cup test) and start all over again, now in a warmer place with some aritificial light and better dirt.  As i was digging them up, I found that between like 35 seeds, 3 were germinating. 1 of the germinating ones was creating roots below the seed, I didn't notice and still dug the seed. As soon as I noticed it had roots I put it back and covered it again. So my questions are:

did I kill the seed by digging it with its roots though I planted it back?

Did I ruin everything by digging every seed that wasnt germinating and putting them all in cups with water?

Thanks for your time and help :) 

Welcome!/Introduce yourself to unlock all forum features.
FFMZ9PR.gif

Growing Hot Peppers/Grow Tech

[SIZE=10.5pt]Hey [/SIZE]Pazuzu.  You'll likely get more responses to growing questions if you post in the growing forum versus the welcome forum.  

[SIZE=10.5pt]My thoughts are that the soil was probably way too cold to plant outside when you did. You're far better off starting pepper seeds indoors at soil temps of 27C plus and then transitioning them outside once overnight temperatures aren't falling below 10C or so.  Or, if you have a long enough season, start them outside once soil temps are somewhere > 20C.  There's some flexibility with these temps, but I'm offering them as approximates.  They simply won't germinate if they aren't warm enough.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Even if the seeds look good, they may now be damaged - though not necessarily.  If you have fresh seed, I'd start those now rather than waiting until you see the results of these and potentially setting your season back any farther.[/SIZE]

Thank you for your insights. I have some fresh seeds, unfortunately not from the species I was really looking forward to grow (carolina reaper, carolina reaper X trinidad moruga yeallow and trinidad moruga chocolate) so I don't have anything else to do but to rely on these used seeds :(

Pazuzu_99 said:
did I kill the seed by digging it with its roots though I planted it back?

Did I ruin everything by digging every seed that wasnt germinating and putting them all in cups with water?

IMHO - No & No

My Question is, any heat mat under those seeds?

I don't intend to. I'm gonna put them in the room where I have my house heat system (don't know the english term). That room is usually warm and I'm gonna buy some flourescent led bulbs. hope it's enough :D 

Pazuzu_99 said:
Thank you for your insights. I have some fresh seeds, unfortunately not from the species I was really looking forward to grow (carolina reaper, carolina reaper X trinidad moruga yeallow and trinidad moruga chocolate) so I don't have anything else to do but to rely on these used seeds :(
I hope you have plenty of friends to share with. Those peppers are crazy hot and can be heavy producers. Many growers end up with way more peppers than anticipated and have to scramble to figure out something to do with them before they rot.

:welcome: from the Pacific NorthWest, USA!

Listen to Canedog!

Welcome   :onfire:
With the temperature that has been on average in Portugal try to germinaoutside, it makes no sense, the seeds would only germinate when the weather warms up much more.

Pazuzu_99 said:
why? carolina reaper , trinidad moruga?.... they are a bit tricky to germinate try someting more tuga piri piri, or someting more easy like scotch bonnet or chapeu de bispo..... learn then go to reaper, trinidade.....

Back