Hi from Tacoma, WA

Just located your forum while searching for information about my 'mystery' pepper plants.  This is my second year of gardening and I have expanded my pepper growing because I was unable to find Scotch Bonnets last year and instead made sauce from habaneros.  Turned out okay, but not the same.  I also wanted to roast some peppers and make powder.  This year I picked up various pepper starter plants at one location, and four Scotch Bonnets from another.  All of my plants except one are in 3-5 gallon pots.  My raised bed is for several varieties of eggplant, tomatoes and tomatillos.  The peppers did not do so well in it last year, mainly due to shade created by the tomato plants.

The group of ten peppers was almost completely mislabeled and so I have a fun mess.  Delicious peppers for the most part, but I'm having to figure this out as they mature, tasting some when yellow or green because I initially had no idea what color they should ultimately be.  Kind of fun!  Fortunately the Shishitos and the Scotch Bonnets were accurately labeled and are doing great - some of the peppers (Jamaican Red) are already turning red.  Through no fault of my own I have luckily pruned correctly (read your pruning and topping guide) and hoping to not only get a good harvest, but to learn through this forum how to keep them alive in my garage during the wet season.

I've enjoyed browsing your forum all morning and I'm finding that I've made a lot of mistakes and should have located you back in April.  

:welcome:  to the THP forums from SC!! Nice to have you aboard!

Now I'm having thoughts of a big ol' plate of freshly roasted Shishitos with a side of Scotch Bonnets!  ;)  Can't go wrong with either of those! Best of growing the rest of this season.

Hello and welcome Scottsbonnet. I really love the state of Washington. I've made the drive from Louisiana a couple of times doing the Olympic Peninsula and all in between there and the Gorge. The Hoh Rain forest is one of my favorite places.

Seymore Peppers said:
Hello and welcome Scottsbonnet. I really love the state of Washington. I've made the drive from Louisiana a couple of times doing the Olympic Peninsula and all in between there and the Gorge. The Hoh Rain forest is one of my favorite places.

Our family is from north Louisiana.   I agree - the Hoh Rain Forest is a real treasure. 

Thanks to all for the welcomes.

Welcome from a Future WA resident, been trying to talk the wife into moving there. The weather is so much more appealing than here in IL. Looking at the Tacoma or Anacortez area as I'm in the petroleum industry and there's lots of work in that area. 

Alchymystic said:
:welcome:  to the THP forums from SC!! Nice to have you aboard!

Now I'm having thoughts of a big ol' plate of freshly roasted Shishitos with a side of Scotch Bonnets!  ;)  Can't go wrong with either of those! Best of growing the rest of this season.

Wow - thanks for the suggestion!  I grew the Shishito plants because I couldn't find Padrons for making piperade.  Just roasted my first batch and it is the most wonderful new taste sensation I've had in years.  All but two were green - the red one was the sweetest but not necessarily any better.

What a great breakfast!

ScottsBonnet said:

Wow - thanks for the suggestion!  I grew the Shishito plants because I couldn't find Padrons for making piperade.  Just roasted my first batch and it is the most wonderful new taste sensation I've had in years.  All but two were green - the red one was the sweetest but not necessarily any better.

What a great breakfast!

Your most welcome!

I can still imagine the smell and flavor of them freshly roasted and sprinkled with sea salt! :drooling:  I tried them for the first time just 2 months or so ago- I instantly fell in love! If you haven't seen it already, here's the thread that was giving the Shishitos all the praise they deserve - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60407-shishito-peppers-are-the-shishit/  A taste sensation indeed! :party:

Back