Hi from Wellington New Zealand

KAOS said:

Welcome.

Good to have another local ChilliHead join.

What you thinking of growing ????

I mostly grow jalapenos, but considering trying some reapers. I got some hot peppers from a guy slightly north of Wellington who grows a lot of varieties who gave me some frozen Naga Vipers and a few others to make sauce with, I might get some Reapers for seed some time.

I have a greenhouse and my crop is pretty successful. I couldn't count how many jalapenos I grow, but hundreds ripen to red each year. If I picked them when green but ripe I'd probably get even more.

Just a quick hello!   Surprised to see a fellow Kiwi from Wellington in here.  Full disclosure - I am actually an American but now am a NZ citizen and have been here for 6 years.

We live in Paekakariki at the moment.  Just moved here in the last year.  Looking forward to the coming chilli season!

I noticed you mentioned a greenhouse.  Do you have any luck growing any chillis over winter?

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

thorntad said:
Just a quick hello!   Surprised to see a fellow Kiwi from Wellington in here.  Full disclosure - I am actually an American but now am a NZ citizen and have been here for 6 years.

We live in Paekakariki at the moment.  Just moved here in the last year.  Looking forward to the coming chilli season!

I noticed you mentioned a greenhouse.  Do you have any luck growing any chillis over winter?
Interestingly, there's a guy in Pukerua Bay who grows a lot of very hot chillis, including Naga Vipers and Reapers, who's on my gardeners ground. He gave me a few to put into some sauce. He'll be pretty close to you. He grows in a sun room, says his chilli plants get to about 2m high and 2m wide.

In summer my 8-10 jalapeno plants in the greenhouse go crazy, I could fill my BBQ / smoker every couple of weekends. Yes they continue to grow japalenos through winter, but at a much much reduced rate - instead of 50 a week ripening to red I might get 2-5 but can't really remember. This year I'm going to cut some right back. I'm also going to try a reaper and a competition that was linked to above.

A friend grows chillis outside, even in summer they have limited success. It's just not hot enough. I'll post photos of my setup maybe tonight, I grow semi hydroponically using growboxes. Since I've had the same soil in there for about 3 years and I don't touch the soil at all I'd say all the nutrients come from the ones I add now.

Back