Hi!! It's me, Vic the Hotpicker.

Hello and welcome, Vic!

I’m making Escovitch Fish tonight, which is a peppery meal from Jamaica. Here’s my recipe:

This is a general favorite in the Caribbean, but is especially popular on Good Friday. It is frequently remarked that it’s even better the next day. To make the recipe more authentic, use cleaned and scaled whole fish instead of filets.

2 pounds fish filets (king fish, red snapper, or similar)
Pepper
Salt
High-heat oil

0.5 cup rice vinegar
0.5 cup white wine vinegar
3 ripe bell peppers, sliced thin
1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
2 Scotch Bonnet peppers, seeded and ribs removed, quartered and sliced thin
2 large carrots, squared and julienned
1 white onion, halved and sliced thin
8 whole allspice

The day before, coat the fish all over with salt and pepper, set on a rack in a pan, and refrigerate.

Add about a quarter inch of oil to a sauté pan and bring to high heat. Add half the filets at a time and fry for about 2 minutes per side, looking for internal temperatures of 140-150F. As they finish, remove to a plate with paper towels.

Discard the oil, but leave the pan coated and any clinging bits. Add the vinegar, peppers, and carrots to the pan and bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer.

Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the onion is transparent. Turn off the heat, season to taste, and give everything a good stir.

Arrange the fish in a serving dish and pour the escovitch sauce over it evenly.

Last edited:
8f85af4282852d8ffbed37120443622c.jpg

Back