Hi there from southern Italy

Hi everybody, 
It's the time for me to join the conversation!
My name is Giuseppe and I always loved spices and chilli peppers and in addition to that I love cooking and pickling, so I suppose it was just a matter of time before getting some seeds and starting to grow my own peppers. While looking for infos over the internet about growing domestically some plants, I stumbled into this forum. I read a lot of interesting things through these threads and now that my plants are growing up it seems a good thing to share some pictures and get proper comments on what my clumsy hobbyist hands are doing.
I apologise in advance for some of the gardening-blasphemy I'll sure write during my first posts, but as you can tell I'm not a professional in this field (I actually work in front of a computer all day... so kinda the opposite!)

Cheers

Welcome to THP!

I love your country.   My time there has mostly been from Rome to Florence and the surrounding area.   I would love to get to the Amalfi coast and I have a real need to get to Milan and see the Last Supper in person!

cone9 said:
Welcome to THP!

I love your country.   My time there has mostly been from Rome to Florence and the surrounding area.   I would love to get to the Amalfi coast and I have a real need to get to Milan and see the Last Supper in person!

You mentioned lovely places to visit :)
On Milan I gotta say there's not that much to see a part from the Cathedral and few other things, but if get there drop me a line and I'll suggest you some nice places where you can eat and drink good stuff. Also a couple hours on a train from there you get to Bologna which is really worth visiting ;) 

Misbug said:

You mentioned lovely places to visit :)
On Milan I gotta say there's not that much to see a part from the Cathedral and few other things, but if get there drop me a line and I'll suggest you some nice places where you can eat and drink good stuff. Also a couple hours on a train from there you get to Bologna which is really worth visiting ;)
I spent a month in central Italy in 1977 - stayed in Rome, Florence and Orvieto with bus trips out to Sienna, Bologna, Pisa, Tivoli, Monteriggioni, San Gimignano and a train to Pompeii.  I was studying art history while in college.   The art professor who took our group knew Italy like the back his hand.  It was an amazing trip.  The entire trip - transportation, lodging and food - cost $850.

In October, 2016, I took my wife to Italy to celebrate our 30th anniversary.  Our daughter and a couple friends accompanied us.  We were is Florence and Rome.  We had a great trip and wonderful weather (it did cost a bit more than 1977!!).
There is so much to see - so much history behind the region.
The US is so young that buildings here are revered for their age when they are two hundred years old.  In Rome, below the Basilica of San Clemente we walked on the very stone floors where people lived and worshiped over 2000 years ago!

I am in the process of planning another trip in about a year with my wife, three kids and daughter-in-law.   Rome to Florence to Milan, maybe a bus tour out of Florence to Sienna, San Gimignano and Pisa.  Bologna would be right on the way via the train.  Perhaps, I will look into a day/night there as well.   I am only planning one day to visit Milan - really just to satisfy my desire to see The Last Supper in person.  It looks difficult to arrange for tickets to insure we could get in on the one day we would be in Milan.

I would appreciate your insights and would like to contact you from time to time if you don't mind.

In 1985 I had the pleasure of visiting 6 European Countries.  Of which the most well liked was Italy.  I was mainly in Rome. Visited the Coliseum, surrounding areas of the Vatican, Fontana di Trevi, the fountain throwing few coins and making a wish.  Visited the Caligula's Tomb, or what they said it was at the time I went. I most say though, that either it was the marble stone or just my imagination, but felt goose bumps and a chill while sitting there looking around and imagining what was it like during the time he lived.
I also spent hours walking the streets, the alleys, where perhaps Shakespeare was inspired when he wrote Romeo and Juliet;  and the Coliseum?  where Daniel was thrown to the Lions and survived.
The streets, where each paving stone  most have a history of blood; the sculptures that look so real one might think that they may move at one given moment. 
A wonderful visit. I promised myself I  would be back with my children so that they could learn that part of history which has been so important in what we are today.  But I am still here, just thinking how I will be developing my 3 new hot sauces.
Enough for dreaming.
yours truly cellub52

Back