Hi there!

Hi all!  

My name is Travis.  I'm originally from Virginia, but moved with my wife, dog, and cat to O'ahu, Hawai'i over a couple of years ago.  We are having a great time adventuring and loving life.  

I've loved spicy food from a young age, and love experimenting with new dishes and sauces.  I love talking about spicy food, too.  Over the past five years or so, I've become obsessed with an idea to replace the Scoville scale.  I tried pursuing this, but it did not take - so I though it'd be time to join some forums and share my thoughts in the hopes that others with more drive or relevant backgrounds can continue the effort!  If interested in reading about my thoughts, feel free to check the link further below.

Hope to chat with you all more!

-Travis

~~~

https://hubpages.com/food/Measuring-Spiciness-a-Call-for-Change

tlockhart said:
Over the past five years or so, I've become obsessed with an idea to replace the Scoville scale.  I tried pursuing this, but it did not take - so I though it'd be time to join some forums and share my thoughts in the hopes that others with more drive or relevant backgrounds can continue the effort!  If interested in reading about my thoughts, feel free to check the link further below.
I read your blog/post and I see two issues, 1.) aligning perceived burn with the Richter Scale  and 2.) lack of an instrument to measure it.

1.) While your "scaling" concept an alternate to let's say Fahrenheit  or Celsius  which are linear I would bet less than 5% of the population knows that each progressively higher # is 32X greater than previous # as discussed here.> Why isn’t the Richter scale a linear scale? (I thought it was 10% per increase.)

2.)And the Scoville scale  is outdated in its original format from 1912, but we have High-performance liquid chromatography to replace it. We even have an easily available measuring instrument available for home use. AMAZON - Soxhlet Extractor , which was discussed here, Capsaicin extraction using a Soxhlet extractor

I wish you luck with your endeavor but i won't be supporting it.

NECM

Hi NECM,

Thanks for the notes and the well wishes.  I'm not actually pursuing this actively; I already gave it a shot and reached the end of where I could go with it (as I'm neither a scientiest nor a particularly entrepreneurial type), but I appreciate the notes.  I'm hoping others who have more interest or background can carry forward where I couldn't.

Point taken in regards to Richter scale.  I just wanted to provide an example of another non-linear scale, even though the two are certainly different beasts.  Maybe my use of that, to provide an example, isn't as well known as I would have thought.

For your second note, perhaps this kind of measurement and tool could be used (my note is vague regarding the science and method - simply because I do not know).  Either way, I'd still hope that output from whatever methodology and device could be restated in a more understandable and applicable manner.  Said another way, I think the SPICE idea could live together with such a device.  But, that's just my thoughts.

Thanks again!
Travis

Back